Surround Sound

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Victor Mar, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Victor Mar

Victor Mar Auditioning

Can anyone recommend a sound system for me. I just purchased a Sony LCD and would like some theater sound with it. I was thinking about the Yamaha YSP-1000 because space is limited for me. I live in an apartment and probably couldn't play the system too loud anyway. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Victor

2. John S

John S Producer

Keeping in line with the basics section this is posted to.

Look for systems that are just real individual components bundled together. Powered sub, and separate AVR, and no integrated DVD player. Make sure the included AVR has a decent set of digital inputs, make sure it has any video switching capabilities you may want.

I have great luck with suggesting Onkyo systems, but any decent manufacturer providing the above type system is good.

3. Victor Mar

Victor Mar Auditioning

John-

When you say "AVR" are you referring to a receiver?

4. John S

John S Producer

Yes, AVR = Audio / Visual Reciever

5. Tom C

Tom C Stunt Coordinator

I'm partial to Denon myself.

Also, as suggested, go with individual components.

Make sure that you get an AVR with all the inputs for all the components you have or plan to get and allow for some expansion.

Make sure that there are the correct input types for your components (Example: Let's say you have a DVD player and a CD player. Each have a coaxial output for the digital audio, but your AVR only has one coaxial and one optical in).

For me, on screen menus are a must. It's a real inconvenience trying to set up and calibrate using the front panel of your AVR.

With different types of video outputs, an AVR with video upconversion makes life easier (switching the AVR only as opposed to the AVR and the TV). Of course, this is on upper end units and will cost more.