Surround sound with couch against the back wall.

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Noah Gottula, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Noah Gottula

Noah Gottula Stunt Coordinator

The way my viewing room is setup is the TV is on one side of the room and the couch sits against the wall on the other side. Is it even worth it to get a 5.1 speaker setup?

Would having the surround speakers on opposite ends of the couch facing toward the center of the couch sound ok, or should I just get two really good mains and forget about it?

I've never had a home theater in the past, so no clue on how to position the speakers for one.

2. Dan_J_H.

Dan_J_H. Stunt Coordinator

Hi Noah,

My livingroom has my sofa against the back wall and my surrounds near the ceiling and facing each other. Each speaker is about 3' away from the sofa. The 5.1 sounds GREAT! The scene in the movie Polar Express where the boy is on his porch and looking at the train made it sound like my surround speakers were 5' behind my sofa.

By all means go for 5.1. You don't need a huge room to make it sound great.

Dan

3. John S

John S Producer

Yes, 5.1 still excels in such a room... 6.1 and 7.1 are where it gets real tricky....

I used to have wall mounted at cieling level surrounds, I really liked it as well.

My current setup seems accurate though. I have all my speakers on the back wall the sides face forward, the 7.1 rear surround speakers actually are pointing straight up.

Looks pretty cool with my new big Living Reef Aquarium sitting in the middle. [​IMG]

All sorts of things you can try and experiement with.

4. Ricky Thompkins

Ricky Thompkins Auditioning

Noah,
    5.1 will work very well in your set up. Just be sure to set the delay and volume correctly. Don't what to blow away the people on the ends.

Ricky

5. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

Another thing that I've experimented with is aiming those speakers in 'non-standard' configurations. Try pointing them up at the ceiling, or at the outside walls, to diffuse the sound a bit, and make it less 'obvious' for the people sitting on the ends. Maybe even pointed straight down.

The big thing to remember with speaker-aim, however, is every time you adjust them at all, recalibrate! You'll loose quite a bit by doing a wall-bounce.

Another thing to consider, but you may have reflection/echo issues, is to aim the speakers directly at one-another, above ear-level (above the listener, not pointed down at all.)

It can be made to work very well.

Leo Kerr