surround sound, "strange" question

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by mikeHende, Apr 13, 2005.

1. mikeHende

mikeHende Agent

My 1-car garage is 8'hx20'Lx10W and is made of brick with Sheetrock Roof and wooden 3-part Door that slides up to open, there is space between the door when it's closed and the wall of the Garage.

My predicament is that I live in a very quiet neighborhood and I hang out on Saturdays inside the garage, in the beginning I had 2 old style [1970s] Pioneer 15" 4-way Speakers but was told by my neighbors that the "Bass" sounded very loud so I got rid of them and used just one 12" 3-way speaker and still was told the same thing, I believe that the Garage acts as a speaker enclosure itself which would explain why the Bass sounds so loud "outside" of the Garage, in other words, I have much more bass outside than inside.

A friend of mine then suggested that I try to copy the situation of an Automobile, this seemed to make sense because when you are in a car that uses 6x9 speakers, it sounds loud but when you come outside and close the door you hear very little or nothing so I went and purchased four 6x9 Pioneer speakers and a 4-ohm receiver, I placed the speakers in the "ceiling" of the Garage about 5' apart and when the music is playing at low volume with the Garage door closed, you hardly hear anything outside but you have to pump the volume to get any kind of decent "Bass" and when the volume goes up then you hear the music outside so this almost worked as when you go directly under any of the speakers, you get the full blast and when you walk away from it, the noise lessens considerably but not enough for my neighbors.

I went with a friend to Circuit City and there was a demo of a surround sound or Home Theatre set, I don't know which, it had 4 very small speakers hanging overhead on poles and a sub on the ground, we were both totally amazed at the sound you get when you step in between those 4 small speakers area, the set cost $3,000 though. Anyway, what totally freaked me out was that when you step out of the circle of speakers you hardly hear anything and this was in the middle of the store and not in an enclosed room so I am wondering if this is what I need? A surround sound or Home theatre system so when I go outside of the Garage I will not hear much?

Will welcome ANY idea/advice please that will help me listen to my music with some Punch and still be friends with my neighbors, thanks.

2. John S

John S Producer

Bass is non directional. It doesn't matter if you step outside the sweet zone or not.

$3k huh?? What model speaker system....

Headphones.... The neighbors that complain, if they ever run any sort of loud powertools complain back about it, if you cut back you music / bass volume to appease them.

3. mikeHende

mikeHende Agent

I didn't pay attention to the "Brand" of the system I came across in Circuit City that day, I think the price tag took care of that[​IMG] . Well, what I was told about surround sound systems is that you only use verly little power to get heavy music and I think this is what might make the difference, if I could turn the volume up to only 3 or 4 on a surround system as an example and get the same comparative "loudness" as using the max volume on my present receiver, this might work?
    What do you guys think?

4. John S

John S Producer

Well, the bass seems the problem. I mean even with the current system, I'll bet if you turn down the bass alot it would be just as good. With the new system, if the bass is at a quality level, you will probably run into the same issue.

I'm surprised others haven't posted up on this one.

5. mikeHende

mikeHende Agent

I just found out that it was a "Bose Lifestyle" system that was on Display at Circuit City. I just got this piece of info from a Surround expert:

"The simple and least expensive thing you can do is to decouple the speakers (either your current ones or the subwoofer of the home theater system) by setting it on some open-cell rubber or neoprene like the kind used in wet suits. It has to be pretty thick (at least 1 inch) to do the job. Try home depo.It will change the freq. response of your playback system a bit though."

What's you guy's take on this bit of info?

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Mike, since you're becoming make- and model-specific in your query, your thread is now located in the Speakers area. The Basics area is for general discussion at the beginner level only. Thanks.

7. JohnBC

JohnBC Auditioning

How about just telling your neighbors to kiss your ass? Unless you have a setup like Doc Brown had in Back to the Future, I think you are ok.

8. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

It's true that the 6x9s will couple with the roof and some bass will come from the home((walls roof ETC will increase this).

Maybe look at a small subwoofer left on the concrete floor?? it should add some bass, and you don't need it to go very low for rock music and that.

Brent

9. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, Mike, but those two goals are mutually exclusive – unless you want to take down the garage door and build a soundproofed wall in its place. As John S noted, the problem with any speaker configuration you come up with will be the bass. It won’t help to decouple it from your structure, as the sound waves will pass right through and out the garage door. The “space between the door when it's closed and the wall of the Garage” you noted only makes matter worse, as one of the hard rules of preventing sound leakage is an airtight room.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

10. mikeHende

mikeHende Agent

I hear what you all are saying but I really do think that while I will not be able to prevent the bass from travelling out of the Garage unless I soundproof it, I believe that I will get a much better situation if I go the surround sound way as I won't need nearly as much power to get the same volume and Bass level as I am using now, and I can place the sub on the ground on top of a piece of Rubber to help.
    I will create another thread now asking for specifics on a surround sound system, thanks guys.

11. Shad R

Shad R Supporting Actor

I can't beleive no one's told him to NOT buy the BOSE!!!!

12. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    I assure you, movie theaters employ massive amounts of soundproofing. You won’t be able to achieve that at home.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

13. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

Get a nice set of headphones.[​IMG]

14. Matt^Brown

Matt^Brown Supporting Actor

Mike I do not think that your idea is going to work. Wayne is correct in his explanation of how this works. I like you also hang out in my garage late at night on Saturdays. I also like to jam a little music while I am at it. I know of no way to make it loud inside of the garage and it not be loud outside of the garage. Garages are just not designed to hold sound.

Just for reference purposes I also have a surround system in my house. I can turn it up 3/4 of the way and it is really loud inside my house but outside it is not that bad. If I took my home system into the garage and did the same thing I can assure you that my neighbors windows would be rattling.

15. mikeHende

mikeHende Agent

Appreciate the advice and yes I have listened to what everyone here has to say so it looks like I will have to stick with my four 6x9's in the ceiling, thing is, even if I were to totally seal and soundproof the garage, what would happen in the summertime when I would be hanging out more on the "outside" of the Garage barbequing and stuff? Got to go live in the Forest and hope I don't disturb the animals!! Thanks all.

16. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Wireless (cordless) headphones. [​IMG]

17. DustinT

DustinT Agent

Would this be the wrong thread to bring up sound proofing materials?

I've seen some that run in the $3+ per linear foot range. is this an expected price? would be too costly for something like this i think.

when i crank the speakers in my house, i can hear the music from the street, but it's low enough to where i assume the neighbors can't hear it "IN" their house. the way i see it, if they can hear me while they're outside, it's no different then me running the lawn mower.

unless you are running for mayor and need your neighbors vote.....crank it.

[​IMG]