Surround Sound Speaker Confusion :) (Denon 3802)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert_Barlow, Nov 26, 2002.

1. Robert_Barlow

Ok, so I went and got my new Denon 3802 last night, and proceded to set it up. But alas, there are waaaaaaayyyyyyyy more binding posts then my old Sony reciever! B/c it has 7.1 capabilitiy, there are TWO sets of surround speaker connections.......and I don't have any idea which should be hooked up! I am only using a 5.1 setup, so should I have the surround speakers bound to the the surround side or surround back posts?
    Another question: My speakers all have two sets of posts for positive and negative. When I took them out of the box, there were little gold clips that connected positive to positive and negative to negative. In my ignorance, I removed these and set them aside in a pile [​IMG] Should I have left those on and what the heck are they?
    Also, is it normal to have to turn the volume to around 25(70 is lowest..I assuming it probably goes to 0) for a nice loud effect? Thanks in advance guys!!!!!!
    P.S. I don't think it matters, but if it does the speakers are 4 paradigm 20's and a studio cc center channel.

2. Henry_W

Henry_W Stunt Coordinator

On Denon surrounds - sides (say a dipole for HT) and back (say direct radiationg for music) are allowed. You can have two sets and which ones used are determined by your chosen input (cd=back and DVD=side) but they will not be playing simultaneously.

The gold clip on the speakers must be attached if you are running only one set of speaker wires (otherwise you have left out either your high or low frequencies).

The -25db reading in the volume window is reasonable for out of the box Denon. Use calibration discs and SPL meter to get it right.

3. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

If this is a home theater setup, use the side surrounds. The backs (+ sides) are for a 7.1 system, sides are for 5.1. Make sure you get a calibration disk and a SPL meter to calibrate to reference. Without calibration, -25 on the volume is about right for a medium/high volume level. I calibrate my 30801 to reference = '0' and usually I listen between -25 and -15 (in an apartment).

4. Robert_Barlow

LOL, thanks Henry! I guess I know why I was getting such good bass responses last night! Now I can't wait to get home and hook them up PROPERLY and see how they sound! Well, I have to admit I feel a little better about my speakers now. I have to admit I was pretty dissapointed last night when I listened to them. Looks like it was my fault [​IMG]
    Jeff: Thanks a lot! I had them on Back surround and it sounded a little funny [​IMG] I will switch that around as soon as I get home!
    And since I am getting responses, another question!!! I have read through the manual, but I can't find anything that mentions how to get normal old dolby digital 5.1 So far, the only way i have been able to get surround sound is by pressing the Dolby pro logic 2 button which then makes a 6.1 pop up on the reciever(but I omly have a 5.1 set up). Anyone know why this might be?

5. Henry_W

Henry_W Stunt Coordinator

clarification - your 3802 has places for two sets of surrounds and separate connection for the 'rear' 6.1/7.1 setup. In Denon's wisdom the one set of surrounds (sides) is for the dolby experience and the other set (back) are for 5 or 7 channel stereo. These can be used in various ways depending on your room - for instance, if no distance is available behind sides for the rears you can place the surronds back (in the corners) in the config. Or if you have the room and are addicted like some, you can have your back music speakers and side HT speakers and have the Denon automatically know what you want to do by source.

As to dolby stuff - this is easily managed by the reciever on the input setup. You have the choice of forcing (a quite ineffective thing if your source is more modern) DD or letting it be automatic source sensing (the preferred alternative). If your connections are digital it is very reliable and easy. Check closer in the manual and get to the set up screen that allows choosing 'auto'. Further, you have a few choices on the rears in the Denon - One center rear speaker (6.1), two rear speakers (7.1), no rear speakers (5.1) and whether you want the rear matrixed or not. You can also have the rear available or not an various non dolby sources.

Look at the loopy manual closely and you will eventually find all the options.