What's new

Surround Sound recommendations for budget of $850 (1 Viewer)

CTtim22

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim H
OK. I want to get my HT system going. I currently have a Samsung HLP6163W along with a progressive scan DVD player (can't remember what the brand name is) that seems to be working pretty well. I want to add a surround sound system and am convinced that a HTIB is NOT the way to go. My budget is about $800 to $900 (for everything) and am pretty convinced I'll be able to get something that's pretty decent. This will be my second surround sound setup (8 years ago I purchased a Marantz receiver with Paradigm speakers for about $1,800). That system is still going strong today and am happy with it.

My next system will be placed in the basement (finishing basement) and is about 25 x 30 with open space with only the staircase in the middle. So, I'm looking for some recommendations for a component based system that will meet these specs. All my walls are still open so it will be easy to wire this.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Tim (CT)

Glen B

Agent
I would start with the Pioneer receiver and Dayton sub as providing good bang for the buck. If you don't like the speakers, I'm sure you can find other brands that fall within your budget if you shop around.

My recommendations:

Pioneer VSX-816 7.1 receiver at $299.00

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=250-515

Dayton 12”/150W powered sub at $149.00
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-635

Athena Audition C1.2 center channel at $150.00
Athena Audition B1.2 mains & surrounds at $120.00 per pair x 3 = $360.00

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/ca...peakers&Page=5

Total: $958

CTtim22

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim H
Great. Thanks Glen_B. I'll look into those. The Sub you mention is only $149. I've seen Subwoofers out there for $450 (SVS?). Do you think they're worth the price? Everything I've been reading suggests that the subwoofer typically 'makes or breaks' your system. So, if I'm going to dump additional $$$ into one of these, I would think the subwoofer would be the one.

Also, seems like you're recommending a 7.1 setup. Aren't most movies that are out there only using 5.1 and some 6.1? Why go the extra mile with the set of speakers if they won't be used? Just curious.

Thanks for taking the time to post and the info!!

Glen B

Agent

The Dayton subs from Parts Express are great performers for the money, so don't be put off by the price. By saving on the cost of the sub you can put a bit more into the other speakers (especially the critical center channel) and get better quality all around. For 5.1 just leave off the extra surrounds.

Tex

Auditioning
Real Name
Ken Denning
Look at secondact.biz. Several options there but a very nice Jamo receiver for $299. Most of their items are refurbs but the Jamo is new. I just bought one and love it.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks