surround sound question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan_Mk, Feb 10, 2002.

1. Ryan_Mk

Ryan_Mk Extra

I have a surround sound system and was wondering if this sounds right.

Say I'm watching fast and the furious. The dialogue is perfect, clear. Though when the racing starts my surrounds kick in and it sounds incredible. Same thing with gladiator.

Is this right?

I mean shouldn't it be more consistant?

quiet, quiet music... loud pumping music, loud effects, loud enough to make your chest vibrate when there are explosions... everything quiet.... extremely loud... quiet...

Or could my fronts and center not be turned up high enough?

2. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    I'm not quite sure what you're asking.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    It is possible (and likely) that the speakers are not all set at the right levels if calibration has not been done. It is hard to set by ear alone. That said, there are movies that only seem to have aggressive surrounds and not much ambience. I did not listen to Fast and The Furious on the big system to tell if this fits into that category or not.

4. Jim Mc

Jim Mc Agent

Most receivers have a test tone that with use of a Radio Shack sound meter will allow you to set the speakers to a even level.
    You take your measurement at ear level with the meter pointed at the wall ceiling junction of the front wall.
    As mentioned very often the surrounds are active but not noticable. They fill the background without drawing attention. Then they will come alive with action.
    Saving Private Ryan is a good example. Before they reach the beach it's just ocean sounds, then all he$$ breaks loose.
    http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?m=66116202303&n=1123730486
    The Stargate

5. Rod Melotte

Rod Melotte Stunt Coordinator

Don't know about Fast and Furious but every film uses the read speakers in a different manner. Some movies there is nothing, some only for ambiant noise some (like The Mummy Returns) really uses the rears alot.

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i see two issues here.
    1. are your speakers level matched? you should (at the very least) run the test-tone from your receiver and make sure all yours speakers are at the same level. better yet would be to get the radio shack spl and a calibration disc. if you find yourself being "constantly" distracted by the rears, you should probably turn them down...no matter what the level settings are.
    2. how is the dvd mixed? some dvd's have very agressive rear-channel action (star wars, etc) while other's are more subtle. it just depends on what kind of movie you're watching.
    btw - welcome to htf! [​IMG]