What's new

Surround sound question (1 Viewer)

Big Rick

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
Recently i got a Logitech Z506 surround sound system for my gaming PC (vast improvement over my old TV speakers) but its using the 3.5mm jack that plugs into the headphone socket in the back of my TV. I am currently looking at getting a sound card for my computer but i was wondering which input/output system is the best quality, although its nod bad at the moment it isnt what i would call great The options on the back of my Sub for the sound system are; - 3.5mm 'audio in' (think mic in type) - 6 Ch - Stereo L/R Just want to know so i get the right sound card first time and apologies if this has been asked before

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Are you asking which sound card ot get, or what inputs to use on the Z506? Assuming the former, of the 3 input options, only '6 ch' gives you surround sound; the rest are stereo/simulated surround sound. So defintitely 6 channel. You will need a sound card for that, it's not meant to take input from standard steeo equipment (like a TV or receiver). So if you're building a HT-PC, great; otherwise you'd be better off getting a receiver and routing everything into that.

Big Rick

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
Yeah, i was wondering which inputs to use, meaining i can thus get the right sound card

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Do they still make 3 plug/6 channel soundcards? I thought mini toslink killed that off 10 years ago and HDMI killed off mini-toslink 3 years ago...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I did find this... http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-ZM-RSSC-External-Sound-Card/dp/B0001OZ2K8/ref=sr_1_13?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1360014125&sr=1-13&keywords=analog+soundcard Seems most 5.1 or 7.1 analog sound cards are $100+. HDMI cards aren't much more.

Big Rick

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
I'm pretty sure that this card has the right outputs (6 channel) for what im after, but if anyone knows for sure can you let me know please http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/soundcards/90-yaa055-1uan00z.html Cheers in advance edit - i am limited in choice somewhat as the only accessible ports on my motherboard are PCI-express not PCI (the PCI slot is obstructed by my housebrick of a graphics card)

chapcantfixistv

Auditioning
Real Name
rob
Hi, I have a pioneer tv model PDP4270XD also Pioneer surround system. It's from about 2007 . I am trying to get my sky hd to play in surround sound! I have got sound but just stereo. I have loads of cables 2 x hdmi 2 x scary 1 x digital optical cable I just like some help to get the best performance out of my system. Regards, rob

chapcantfixistv

Auditioning
Real Name
rob
Hi, Thanks for the reply, but could you explain as I am not massively technical wise , sky stb? Avr? Also what would be the best cables to use? Regards.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Set Top Box Audio Video Receiver Your Sky HD(in other words...the STB) needs to have audio directly connected to the AVR(see above).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks