Surround Sound not working on TV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd Lewis, Dec 27, 2002.

1. Todd Lewis

Todd Lewis Auditioning

ok, just got a new home theater system for X-Mas. It's a Sony system (5 speakers, receiver).

I have the DVD hooked up (video 4) and it works fine with the surround sound (all 5 speakers).

When I am watching cable, there is no surround sound. I have the Monster cables hooked up to the Audio Out/Var from the TV, but have no idea where to hook them up to the receiver? Any suggestions?

The TV is a 32" Sony WEGA Trinitron, and all the components (DVD, receiver) are sony

Thanks in advance,

Todd

2. Nick A. G.

Nick A. G. Auditioning

First of all, are you using a converter box for cable or is it coming straight from the wall jack? I am assuming that you are going straight from the wall jack because you're running a signal from the TV's audio outputs.

This being the case, you have to realize that not all analog cable programming is actually encoded for surround. The receiver's ProLogic/PLII decoder will try to simulate surround, but it's not going to sound as accurate or crystal clear as Dolby Digital and DTS (which are discrete formats) do.

Also, make sure you're in a proper surround mode. On Sony receivers, the A.F.D. (Auto Format Decode) button shouldn't be activated when watching TV. The reason for this is that the receiver often won't pick up an encoded surround signal (often the case with analog cable TV) and will automatically switch itself to 2-channel output. Try "Normal Surround" or one of the "Cinema Studio EX" modes and see if that helps.

3. Todd Lewis

Todd Lewis Auditioning

Thanks for the response Nick. I have everything going through a Monster surge protector (has a cable outlet on it).
    I've tried switching to all the different modes on the receiver and still nothing.
    However, i have the THX/Monster cables in the Audio Out/Var outlets from the TV, but where should I put them in the receiver? I'm so new at this I have no idea [​IMG]
    Here are the specs from the TV:
    • 32" FD Trinitron® Picture Tube
    • 3-Line Digital Comb Filter
    • 16:9 Enhanced Mode (V-Compression)
    • Velocity Modulation™ Scanning (Off/Low/High) Control
    • Dynamic Focus™ Circuitry
    • Dynamic Picture™Processor
    • Vertical Aperture Compensation
    • Color Temperature Adjustment (Cool/Neutral/Warm)
    • MTS Decoder with DBX® Noise Reduction
    • Enhanced Stereo Sound (10 Watts x 2)*
    • Matrix Surround® Sound
    • Express Tuning® System (181 Channel Auto Preset Tuner)
    • Auto Mute (TV Tuner)
    • Auto SAP (Secondary Audio Program)
    • S-Video Detection
    • Auto Channel Programming
    • Easy Set Up Guide
    • Advanced On-Screen Menu with Program Palette™ Presets
    • Favorite Channel (7 Channels)
    • Speed Surf™ Channel Selection
    • Multi Language Display (English/Spanish/French)
    • V-Chip Parental Control
    • Control Deck® Top Control Panel
    • CaptionVision (CC)
    • Energy Star Compliant
    • 2-Rear Audio/Video Inputs; 1-S-Video
    • Front Audio/Video Input
    • Variable/Fixed Audio Output
    • RF Input
    • Component Video Input (Y/PB /PR)
    and here are the specs for the receiver:
    • Silver Color Components
    • 100 Watt X 5 Receiver
    • 5-Disc DVD Player with Progressive Scan Output
    • Dolby® Digital, dts®, and Dolby Pro-Logic® II Decoding
    • Slim Center Speaker, 4 Satellite Speakers, w/100 Watt Subwoofer
    • Digital Cinema Sound
    • Coaxial and Optical Digital Input
    • 5.1 Channel Analog Input (for High Resolution Audio)
    • Tuner w/ 20 FM + 10 AM Station Presets
    • Universal A/V Remote Commander® Remote
    Thanks again...I am awful at this
    [​IMG]

4. Tim Fennell

Tim Fennell Stunt Coordinator

I think the problem is that the surround (coax/optical) connection from the dvd is going to the video4. That takes care of your dolby/dts sound.

However the tv output needs to also go to an audio input on the receiver. Do you have pairs of coax rca connectors for a tv audio or video connnection?

On my setup I have an optical cable going from my dvd player to the dvd input on my receiver. I also have a pair of rca cables going from my tv to the tv audio inputs on my receiver.

Since every setup is different I can't give you exact advice but I think the above should work.

Tim

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    There is NO digital audio output from ANY TV to send to a receiver, so you cannot get digital surround from a TV, period. The TV audio output is stereo analog, and may carry surround information in the broadcast, which can be processed by the receiver's Dolby decoder, but as mentioned, not ALL broadcasts include surround encoding. Many/most broadcasts are stereo or mono.

You can hook the TV to ANY stereo analog input on the receiver and you should get sound from it. It really doesn't matter which one you use, they all do the same thing, but logic would dictate you use the one labeled "TV".

For digital surround sound, you need to hook the DVD to the receiver with a coaxial or optical digital cable. To watch DVDs without turning on the receiver, you need to also hook a stereo analog cable to the TV.

6. Todd Lewis

Todd Lewis Auditioning

Hey guys, I got it! Thanks for all the help. Turns out it was a lot more simple than I made it out to be. The monster cable from the TV (Audio out) needed to be plugged into Video 1 on the receiver.
    Then I had to switch the receiver to Video 1 (where the cables were running). If that was a snake it would have bitten me[​IMG]

7. Tim Fennell

Tim Fennell Stunt Coordinator

The one thing I have noticed is sometimes the simple answers aren't simple questions [​IMG]
    Glad it was as simple as I thought it might be...
    Tim

8. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Well, there are always exceptions to the rule, however, digital out from a TV is still not the norm.

10. Eric_R_C

Eric_R_C Second Unit

Not yet, but HDTVs with built-in tuners will either have a built-in DD decoder, or a digital out for a receiver. Otherwise, what's the point of HDTV (other than the grand picture, of course.)