Surround Sound Issue

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marlon, Jan 3, 2002.

1. Marlon

Marlon Agent

I've noticed recently that no sound comes out of my surround speakers when viewing DVDs. The speakers are hooked up properly, as the receiver test tones can be heard; I just don't hear anything from the surrounds when watching movies. Does anyone have any idea what my problem could be?

For the record, my receiver is a Pioneer Elite VSX-26TX, my DVD player is a toshiba SD-3109, and my speakers are all Paradigms (mini monitors up front, adp-170 surround, and CC-370 center).

Thanks for the help.

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Have you verified that 5.1 audio is selected in the DVD menu?

3. Marlon

Marlon Agent

I believe so. When I get home later today I'll validate. Good point though. Thanks.

4. Todd K

Todd K Second Unit

The 5.1 not being selected is a very good possibility. When I got me DVD player it took me 30 minutes to figure out why I couldn't get the true surround. I could get the rears to work using pro-logic, but not dolby digital or DTS. Then I noticed on the DVD player's menu that it came shipped with the DD and DTS automatically turned off. I just activated them and everything turned out fine.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Also depends on the movie you are watching. Obviously, if the movie is mono or stereo only, you will not get any sound from the rears.

Try something, or at least a scene, that is known to have a lot of surround information, as during dialog scenes there is often little if anything coming from the rears for many movies. Try Phanom Menace - the pod race scene, plenty of rears going on.

6. Andy Anderson

Andy Anderson Second Unit

In addition to selecting 5.1 in the DVD menu, there is a selection in the DVD player's setup menu (not sure if that's what you meant, ColinM)--there might be a selection to turn on DD and/or DTS in your DVD player's setup screens. Give that a whirl.

Just read your post, Todd. Sorry to regurgitate the point, but now that you mention it, I had the same problem, and it took me about a half an hour too.

Also Marlon, you are using a digital cable (coax or optical) from your DVD player's AC-3 out to your receiver, correct? (I imagine you are, but it never hurts to ask..)