1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Surround sound and personal video recorder

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eddie Ras, Feb 28, 2002.

1. Eddie Ras

Eddie Ras Stunt Coordinator

i'm getting a home theatre. my ReplayTV (Personal Video Recorder) doesn't have digital audio out, but does anyone know if i can set it up to use the PVR all the time (as i currently do), but easily switch over to a direct a/v connection to utilize the dolby surround via my satellite dish and a/v receiver?

i do have a satellite reciever with dolby digital and would want to take advantage of surround with PPV, HBO etc..

how's this done?

ps

i have a denon 2802

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    There's no way to get digital surround sound and use a stand-alone PVR. If you connect the digital sound to your receiver and run the video through the PVR you will have a delay on the video. The only way is to get an integrated PVR like the DirecTivo or Ultimate TV (DirecTV) or PVR501 or PVR508 (Dish).

You mentioned an easy switching solution. Are you talking about running one set of satellite outputs to your Replay and another set to your Denon? I'm not familiar with your Denon but if it has enough inputs, I don't see how it would be a problem. Video 1 would be live from the sat receiver and Video 2 would be delayed through the Replay.

-Robert

3. Eddie Ras

hi robert,

that's exactly what i was thinking-- just switching...

here's what i have:

here's what i have

i have a RCA satellite with the following:

2 sets of Audio L/R and Video out (rca jacks)

Digital Audio out (toslink)

RF Coaxial out

my denon 2802 a/v receiver has:

9 sets of analog inputs

3 sets of optical (digital) inputs

1 digital (coaxial) input

5 S-Video inputs

5 sets of composite inputs

3 S-Video Outputs

3 sets of composite ouputs

so this is pretty easy to do??

4. Eddie Ras

thanks

5. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Connect composite video (RCA jack) from your sat to Video 1 input on your Denon. Also connect your toslink to the corresponding digital input on your Denon. Connect the analog audio and the other composite video from your sat to your Replay. Connect analog audio and composite video from your Replay to the Video 2 inputs on your Denon.

Or you could sell the Replay and get a DirecTivo. Record one show while watching another and getting Dolby Digital (where available) on both.

-Robert

(a very happy DirecTivo owner)