Surround sound a must for gamers. Post your set-up.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff_Standley, Oct 27, 2002.

1. Jeff_Standley

Jeff_Standley Supporting Actor

I was reading the latest installment of gamespotting and read Jeff Gertsman's thoughts on surround sounds setups. He says, and I quote
    http://gamespot.com/gamespot/feature.../102702/3.html

2. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

He may say that surround sound is not that important in games, but let's see what happens when we try to take his system away from him. I'm pretty sure he appreciates what it adds to the gaming experience even if he doesn't admit it. And while we're at it, could someone please stop over at this guy's house and calibrate his system for him? It pains me to think that he has his little subwoofer cranked up all the way
    In the interest of bragging, here's the home theater on which I'm running my consoles (GCN and Xbox):
    • Toshiba 42H81 16:9 RPTV
    • Diva by Swans 4.1 floor-standing speakers in the mains
    • Diva by Swans C3 center channel speaker
    • Diva by Swans 2.1 bookshelf speakers in the surround channels
    • SVS 16-46PC (with Improved Standard Driver upgrade)
    • Rotel RSP 1066 preamplifier-processor
    • Outlaw 750 amplifier
    • Outlaw ICBM (controlling all bass management functions within the system)
    I must say, it's not a bad little set-up. [​IMG]

3. Romier S

Romier S Producer

4. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

I can only imagine. No, wait. I don't want to imagine. Eek!

5. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

Romier,
    I saw that, I almost vomitted. [​IMG]
    My HT/Gaming setup:
    Toshiba 50h82
    Harman/Kardon 520
    Klipsch RF-3 (fronts)
    Klipsch RC-3 (center)
    Klipsch RB-3 (surrounds)
    SVS 20-39cs
    PS2, X-Box, Gamecube
    Panasonic CP-72
    -Dean-

6. BrianB

BrianB Producer

7. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

i dont think surround sound is really necessary. the only genre that needs it is fps, other than that, i can play with no surround sound without missing anything. my question is always : does it add to the gameplay? if not, i dont care.

8. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

I just read the editorial myself, and Jeff seems to contradict himself. First, he says that with his new surround system he can now "feel" the grenades going off. Then he says it also gives him a tactical advantage in that he can now hear someone sneaking up behind him and spin around to take them out (this is all in SOCOM, btw). But then he goes on to say that surround sound is a gimmick and he doesn't think it's an integral part of the game yet. Those two sentiments just aren't consistent! It seems to me that being able to "feel" explosions and the ability to pinpoint an action by audible clues are exactly the reasons that surround sound makes a game experience more immersive. And yet he seems to be saying that besides those two things, surround is a gimmick. Okay, then besides being able to play games on it, the PS2 is a gimmick as well.

Then again, he repeatedly makes the point that "Cobra" is the greatest movie of all time. So his judgment is already suspect, in my book...

Oh, and my rig:

Pinoeer Pro610HD
    Mirage OM-7 fronts, OM-C2 center, OM-9 rears, OM-R2 rear surrounds
    B&K Ref 30 pre
    B&K Ref 7270 amp
    Twin SVS 20-39cs subs

9. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

i read it afew secs ago. i agree with him. he can understand why louder is better, but surround sound is gimmicky. you dont need rear left and right surround speakers to get a decent bass, do you? all you need is a subwoofer.

besides, like i have said, 5.1 surround sound is really good for fps. maybe also for racing games. more than that, no. i dont think surround setup is "ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY". example, game like metalgear. you see your character from ABOVE. what do you expect your surround sound setup do for you when there is an enemy sneaking up from behind snake? put a footstep sound on the rear speakers?

10. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

No, I don't think anyone is saying surround is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY, but it's certainly not a gimmick, either. Isn't there some middle ground between the two? A good surround system can pull you in and engross you in a game, it isn't all pinpoint gunshots or pursuing cars. Simple things like wind swirling in the background or rain falling all around you lend subtle but effective realism to a game. Sudden jolts of music in all channels when the action on the screen heats up can get your heart pumping far more than just the tinny music over your TV's speakers.

That's my big problem with his article--he seems to say that because surround sound isn't revolutionary and necessary, it is a gimmick. The truth (as I see it) is that it lies somewhere in the middle. No game will be rendered unplayable without it, but it can certainly enhance a gaming experience quite a bit when properly implemented. It is most certainly NOT a "gimmick" when done right, no matter what the style of game.

11. Dave_Olds

Dave_Olds Stunt Coordinator

My HT/Gaming Setup

Panny AE100 w/ 46" x 84" Screen
    XBOX
    Onkyo 787
    Paradigm Fronts (Monitor 7's)
    Paradigm Center (CC350)
    Axiom QS4 Surrounds
    Axiom MTi2 rears
    Velodyne CHT10 Subwoofer

A very modest yet, immersive system.....minimal investment.

12. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

In my opinion, in-game directional Surround sound is my most favorite thing about Halo. Followed closely by the awesome story, gameplay and graphics, of course.

My setup:
    Onkyo TX-DS898 7-Channel receiver (THX EX & DTS-ES capable)
    JBL N-Center
    JBL N-26 Front
    Old Kenwood HTiB Fronts for L & R Surround
    Old Kenwood HTiB Surrounds for Back Surrounds
    JBL PB12 250W Subwoofer
    Sony WEGA XBR-450 36 HD-Ready TV (480p and 1080i only, though - no 720p conversion)

I have my XBOX connected via Component video (through my receiver and out to my TV), and my PS2 and Gamecube connected via S-Video (also through the receiver). My PS2 audio is connected through the optical connection.

Equipment is calibrated with AVIA Guide to Home Theater. I hope to get my TV calibrated by an ISF technician this Christmas.

Someday I hope to replace my Surrounds with JBL's, but they work too well to justify the expense.

13. Romier S

Romier S Producer

14. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

That Gamespot reviewer is an idiot! It's as simple as that.

The first time I played Halo I heard something coming from the back left of my room. The effect was so real I physically turned around to see what it was. Only when the Covenant soldier behind me started attacking did I realize the sounds were in the game!

Even a technical tour de force like Halo could have utilized 5.1 in a better way. While this example was stunning (to me) it was a rare occurance in Halo. Game developers are still making games for the lowest common denominator. HD support and 5.1 support will continue to be fairly week through this generation. I suspect the next gen systems will actually display some developmental creativity in these areas.

15. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

I've only just noticed the DPL2 option in Mario Sunshine - have I missed anything so far without it, that I should know about?

16. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

27" Wega Generation 2
    Toshiba 4700 DVD-V/A player
    Klipsch SF-1
    Klipsch SC-1
    Klipsch SB-1
    Pioneer VSX 710s
    Xbox
    PS2
    GameCube
    DC

PS- where are these pics of the horrible setup

17. Jeff_Standley

Jeff_Standley Supporting Actor

18. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

guys, there's already a thread in the hardware forum discussing the setups. give it a look

19. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

The surround sound adds to the whole gaming experience for me and is one of the reasons that I enjoy playing video games as opposed to PC Games. Sure I could have a surround sound setup on my computer too but I just don't have the same quality of equipment in my office where my PC is.

My setup:

Mitsubishi Diamond 65" widescreen HDTV WS-65907
    Denon AVR4800
    B&W DM604 (fronts)
    B&W LCR6 (center)
    Klipsch S5 (surrounds)
    B&W Subwoofer (can't remember the model #)
    XBox
    PS2
    Dreamcast

20. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer