1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Surround Setting on DVD?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Joe Natale, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Joe Natale

Joe Natale Auditioning

I have a SONY 7.1 AV component and a Sony DVD player and I always get confused as to what surround setting I set my DVD player. Many of these DVD players have simulated surround capabilities. Should I just deactivate and let the Receiver do the work or should I use the surround settings on the DVD player as well? THanks.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    For Dolby Digital and DTS you typically do not apply DSPs to them. The Sony receiver should have a mode calle AFD (Auto Format Detect) that should work for everything, though with stereo sources you may want to experiment.

When using a digital connection, the settings in the DVD player are not used.

3. AndrewI

AndrewI Auditioning

I have the same question. I bought a Yamaha YHT-150 Home Theater System and have a SONY DVD player. I connected the the two using component cables and fiber optics for audio. Now, do I need to configure something on the DVD player in order to get the best performance from my fiber optics or component cable hookup? (I think I'm supposed to)

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

exactly.

now, at the receiver, you can "process" the sound and change it around using the dsp (digital sound processing) modes like hall, church, studio, etc.

it's really up to you if you want to engage those modes. on some receivers, they're done pretty well (yamaha comes to mind). on some receivers, they sound *horrible*. but, if it sounds cool to you, then go for it.

---

andrew, same answer applies to you. [​IMG]

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The only thing you might need to configure on the player for a digital connection is in the digital audio settings, make sure DD and DTS are set to bitstream rather than PCM and that should be about it.

6. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Keep in mind though that if you decide to use any of the DSP modes on the reciever for DD or DTS, your adding an "artificial" element to the intended mix.

I used to use the DSP modes, but thought it was better to just stick with the intended un-tampred with mix.

Just a friendly FYI, of course if it sounds good to you by all means use them.

7. Joe Natale

Joe Natale Auditioning

Thank you - the info is helpful. Since we're on the AFD subject. Why is I can never get the auto decoder function to work? This feature is supposed to identify the feed (ie: dolby 5.1, dts, etc) and then set the appropriate surround mode. I have direct feeds from my dvd, digital cable, and xbox but the receiver always interprets 2ch feeds.

8. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

This may indicate a few things. In the case of the DVD, you have to change the DD/DTS output to bitstream. 9 times out of 10, if the DVD is only showing 2 channel stereo (or Pro-Logic), the output is being downconverted to PCM. Get into the setup menu for the DVD player and change the audio output to bitstream and turn DTS to on. Digital cable may need the same thing, go into the setup manu and change the audio output to "digital". But it may just be that 90% of the shows you are watching are not in DD, just stereo or Pro-Logic, because not many non-HD shows are in DD. Can't help on the X-Box, but I would check the setup menu on that also.