surround questions

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Clyde_, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Clyde_

Clyde_ Auditioning

I and building a new home and it will have a small HT (12 X 19. Will 7.1 make a difference in a room of this size or is it overkill? Should I have the surrounds in the ceiling or on the walls?
    thanks

2. John S

John S Producer

Speakers are best not in-wall (IB Subs excluded in that but of course). If you are not right up against any wall with any of your seating there is no reason not to do 6.1 / 7.1, well except cost for the speakers anyways.

3. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Keep the answers coming on Clyde's question but may I interject one as well. You talk about seating thats in the way of a 7.1 system. Anyone that has seating on a back wall like I do... I might have 2 feet or so as there is a heat register there. I have been happy with 5.1 but have some extra speakers and would like to find a way to try 7.1 even though I have this space problem. Anyone ever tried the rear speakers either on the floor facing up behind say a couch or up above angled down and just volumed down so they didn't over do everything else?

What about floor standers that are just behind each side of the couch but back about 3-4 feet on sides but only behind to the wall which would make them a foot or so behind the couch and face them toward the listner.

Anybody have any ideas and should I even try this?

Thanks
    Mike

PS Didn't mean to hijack this thread or my post to be so long... I would be glad to start a new on if you guys think I am intruding here...

4. John S

John S Producer

My seating is not toally up against the back wall, yet I am facing my rear channel speakers up in a 7.1 config. And it is as accurate as can be according to the meters, and the demo's anyways. [​IMG]

I actually put all my speakers back there...

My side surrounds are facing straight forward in the corners of the room, and my rears are facing up. Works very well really. My back most seating is about 4' to 5' from the back wall. This give a nice walk way behind the rear most seating and the speakers don't take up hardly any floor space like that.

5. Clyde_

Clyde_ Auditioning

Whats is the size of your room John? Originally iwas thinking about having two rows of seating. The first row would be 2 seats about 12 feet from the TV and the second row would be 3 seats againts the back wall. I like to sit colse to the TV and the rest of my family like to sit a little further away.
    Now I am thinking about 1 row with 3 seats just a couple of feet away from the back wall. If there are more than 3 people who wants to watch at the same time I would make them stand lol.
    It is still up in the air wich way to go.
    Walls vs. ceiling. Any thought on that. The room is going to be prewired for ceiling surrounds but I think I want to change it to the walls.