What's new

Surround placement help (1 Viewer)

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
My new room is 11' wide and the seating is against the back wall. I know I need to place the speakers in or near the corners but would I be better off with direct, bipole,dipole or even tripole speakers. I a corner mount the best placement?

I know it won't be perfect in the outside seats but I want to do the best I can. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I think that this depends on what style you like Doug. If you want to most closely reproduce what you hear in a theatre, dipoles work well; however if you plan on listening to multi-channel music, most people would recommend direct radiators in the rear. Besides which, there are a good many who prefer direct radiators in the rear in any case.

The opposing driversof dipoles are wired out of phase with each other and some have found that this does not work well in a rear corner. If this turns out to be the case, you can rewire them in phase to eliminate the problem.

So this is really your preference (as to dipole/direct radiators).

If you go with dipoles the null point (the center part of the speaker where there are no drivers) should in line with the listening area and placed a couple of feet above your ears along the side wall. It seems as though this will be close to the rear corners of the side wall in your case.

Direct radiators can be pointed toward the listening area.

Hope that this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks