Surround placement for multiple row seating

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by JawhnM, Nov 22, 2003.

1. JawhnM

JawhnM Stunt Coordinator

I'm going to be redoing the walls in my theater and am considering relocating my surrounds. I have 3 rows of tiered seating (2-3-2). Currently my surrounds (dioles)(6.1) are on the back wall facing forward (with side surrounds near the corners)(alternate Dolby recomended position) and calibrated for the "sweet spot" at the center seat on the second row (which is where I usually watch movies from).

Do you think I'de be happier with the side surrounds on the side wall? If so, where would be the best position for the speakers to acheive GOOD surround at ALL seats? I understand there is a compromise with only one "sweet spot", but I currently have GOOD surround sound at ALL seats and GREAT surround sound at my "sweet spot".

Any opinions are welcome, but I'de especially like to hear from others with multi rowed theaters {what you did and why).

2. JayPo

JayPo Stunt Coordinator

Sorry Jawhn,

I don't have a solution, but I do have the same question. Hope that this bump helps get some answers from people who know.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    This is what I would do if this were my room... First, the dipole surrounds which just happen to be what I also have in my room now are more dispersed than direct radiators. I would place them on the side wall, probably in line with the 3rd row of seating. BUT, I would also pre-plan on anchoring the rear surround with a matching centre speaker.

Would this be possible in your room?

4. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    Have a look at my theater (click on house above), I am very pleased with the results and sound from both rows of seating but the front is the best over all imaging.

Wes

5. Erik Farstad

Erik Farstad Supporting Actor

I have two rows of seating and placed my Axiom QS-8's (Quadpolar speakers...woofers firing up and down and tweaters at an agle firing sideways) right in between my two rows...both rows have excellent surround imaging...and alot of it has to do with the QS-8...for they essentially work like dipoles. Here's a picture:

[​IMG]

E

6. JawhnM

JawhnM Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Neil:
    I've actually thought of using a center channel speaker to help out the rear, I'll give it some more thought.

Wes:
    That's a bunch of speakers in that room. I think that's a little beyond what I had in mind. I am curious though, why did you put surrounds IN FRONT of your front row? EXACTLY where is the "envelopment" speaker mounted (height, angle) and what type of speaker is it? How are the surrounds and envelopment speakers wired?

Erik:
    That's just what I was looking for.