Surround from front

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Ryan_Day, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Ryan_Day

Ryan_Day Auditioning

I have a pair of speakers located on one end of a long room, and would like to have another pair on the same end sound like they're behind me. The room is too long to put them at the other end, so hopefully someone has some ideas as to how to position them to make them sound like surround channels. They will be discretely delivering surround channels, not just Pro-logic style surround. Any help would be appriciated.

Ryan

2. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

can you not hang them behind you or mount them on the side walls behind you?

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Ryan,

Sorry, but there is no way to make speakers that are in front of you sound like they are behind you.

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I'm with wayne on this one, with regards to what you're trying to do. There are some systems with a lot of processing that attempt to either trick you into thinking things are coming from different places(to limited effect) as well as I've read about a large one-speaker (but lots of drivers) array that can direct sounds in a limited fashion, so it can bounce off the side walls, etc and produce a pseudo surround that way, but with regular 5.1 equipment, you'll really want to put them where they should be. You *might* be able to fudge it with some really directional speakers pointed at the walls to reflect or something, but other than that undesireable setup....

5. Ryan_Day

Ryan_Day Auditioning

I realize it's not reccomended, and that speakers or equipment that claim to do this, do it fairly poorly. Simply the room is finished, and I want it to look finished as opposed to wires running all over the place, maybe on the side walls is OK. If anyone else has ideas for OK results(which is all I'm looking for) I'll give it a try and comment on how it worked for me.