Surround - dipole/bipole/regular...?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve & Karen, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Steve & Karen

Steve & Karen Stunt Coordinator

I'm sure there must be prior threads on this, so feel free to just direct me to prior sources (or your 2 cents), but what are the relative pluses and minuses, uses and abuses of using ADP/Dipole versus regular speakers/bipole...?

This is a ~24x24 foot multi-purpose room... den, library, home study, home theater... so really will be used for pure audio music as much as home theater.

Receiver is to be Rotel RSX-1055, DVD maybe the forthcoming NAD T571. Speakers are Front L/R Paradigm Studio 40s, Center Paradigm Studio/CC, adn the Pinnacle Baby Boomer.

My question is whether to go with something like the ADP-120/ADP-370/StudioADP, or alternatively with regular speakers such as Paradigm Titan, MiniMonitor or even Studio 20s for the surround.

-Steve

2. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

3. itai

itai Stunt Coordinator

hot topic, you cant read enough about it, i run dipoles on sides and monopoles on backs, it works!...
    dipoles are designed to difuse the source and disperse it over a large area, so to overcome the shortcoming of only one speaker per lisener's side. imitating
    a real theater soundfield. they feel the room better.
    with good positioning, aka, far enough from the lisener, monopoles can acomplish this job too. problem with ambient sounds such as rain and stuff that should be, well, diffused, they tend to come from a source that our ear can pick up, hence not good.
    modern dipoles, such as the studio adp, have good range (75hz-20hz), whereas older ones where designed to work with limited prologic sources.
    with multichannel music though, you'd better off with regulars.
    http://www.paradigm.ca/Website/AllAb...Surrounds.html
    http://www.hometheatermag.com/fullarchives.cgi?25
    http://www.polkaudio.com/home/librar...php?category=6
    http://www.dunlavyaudio.com/audio_files/index.html
    [​IMG]

4. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

I went to the 5.1 creative source to set up my speakers a few years ago, ...
    Dolby Labs official recommendation, found in their 5.1-Channel Production Guidelines:

5. Lee Daza

Lee Daza Agent

Well on the same line... Tomlinson Holman, the man who coined the term '5.1 channels', makes his case for using dipoles in this PDF that might be an interesting read for you.

6. Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm Supporting Actor

Thanks for the links, itai and Lee.
    .. good reading. [​IMG]

7. Marvin E

Marvin E Stunt Coordinator

8. Steve & Karen

added problem that I have compared to the ideal hypothesized by surround afficianados... the main seating is against the back wall... there is no space behind... so "rear/surround" speakers will either be on side or above (without being behind)... so under those circumstances, does it make more sense to go with Bipole/Dipole (e.g., Paradigm ADP) or Direct (eg., Paradigm Studio 20)...?

-Steve

9. Lee Daza

Lee Daza Agent

Steve,
    That is how my current HT is set up as well, and I am using 2 Studio/ADP's mounted about 6ft. off the floor, above and to either side of the couch on the rear wall. This works well, though as you can see here in Dolby's guide, there are many ways to use Studio/20's with that same setup. Personally I think the dipole in your situation would make more sense for a more immersive soundfield(as per itai's first link). Each room is different of course, and based on how localized you like your sound effects YMMV.

10. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    If you plan on listening to a lot of 5.1 music then I suggest monopoles for the surrounds. If you will be listening to music without the soundfields and surround (ie, stereo mode) and the other half of your material is movie watching, then I would consider the case for dipoles to be stronger. I used to use monopole surrounds a few years back and now I am running with quasi-dipoles. They differ from traditional dipoles because they are in phase for lower frequencies (bass) and out of phase for higher frequencies.

11. itai

itai Stunt Coordinator

the paradigm studio adp's are quasi than!

12. Steve & Karen

The Studio ADPs "switch" from bipole to dipole depending on frequency, but do not switch to direct.

My situation is that they will either be above and only about 1 foot behind listener OR on sides parallel to listener (not having both surrounds AND rears) and could be either direct (Studio 20s) or ADP?

For music and HT.

-Steve