Surround Backs and Surround Back Center

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Louisp, Jul 11, 2004.

1. Louisp

Louisp Stunt Coordinator

Louis Patrick
    Help me determine if my idea is pure insanity or a good idea.

First, speakers are managed by a HK AVR525. I currently have a 7.1 arrangement (front r and l, front center, surround, surround back r and l plus subwoofer.)

Here's the idea. Somehow integrate a surround back center into the current configuration. Good, bad, insane. If good would using a center type speaker be best or should I use the same type of speaker used in the surround back r and l positions. Next, what would be the best way to hook this speaker up so that power was not unduly drained from the receiver.

Thanks in advance.

2. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

My vote is for insane.[​IMG]

Are you unhappy with your current arrangement? I would spend time getting your existing speakers place properly for your room and seating position, rather than trying to add an additional speaker that would have to be piggy-backed on top of one of your rear surrounds(which could wreak havoc with the imaging in the back).

DJ

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

My question is why? You already have surround back capability with 7.1. You have no need to add a SBC, you have that more than covered with your SBL/SBR, that's what those two speakers are, is SBCenters. So it's not insane or overkill or anything, but merely useless, and you'd have to jump through some hoops to do it, and it has no purpose.

4. Louisp

Louisp Stunt Coordinator

Louis Patrick
    Thanks for the good advice.