Surger Suppressor, Recommenation

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by JackLonn, Oct 15, 2003.

1. JackLonn

JackLonn Agent

Sorry, I posted this to Speakers/Subs, too, by accident.

Well, I've finished buying all the good stuff and now I really need to protect it from PG&E. Can someone please recommend an appropriate surge suppressor(s). And maybe I should have an APC for my projector to ensure cooling when the power goes out (it's not a question, it's a fact).

Electronics inlculde:
    AVM 20
    MCA 50
    Outlaw Model 200 x 2 (for rear surrounds)
    NEC HT 1000
    SVS PB2+
    DVD - Toshiba 3107 (no progressive scan yet )
    LD - Pioneer CLD-79

Speakers include:
    All Klipsch, CF2, RC7, RS7(SS) and RS7 (RS)

Any advice would be most appreciated.

2. MikeTz

MikeTz Stunt Coordinator

Jack:

I have implemented a two tier surge suppression system that didn't break the bank and is quite effective. I put a whole-house surge arrestor at my breaker box, and replaced the outlets in my theater room with secondary surge arrestor outlets. The whole-house surge arrestor can handle large spikes and clamps the spikes to less than 600V. Then the secondary arrestors in the outlets further reduce the spikes to less than 300V. Reaction time is

3. JackLonn

JackLonn Agent

Thanks, Mike. I'll look into that.

4. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

I recently purchased a second surge protector for my setup. I bought a Panamax from a place online called Ad Wizards. They are an authorized dealer so you get the warranty. They have VERY good prices IMO. I got mine for $39 brand new. A local place in town wanted $89 for the exact same model.

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Mike's approach, whole house + point of use, is very effective. Have you spoken to your electric company about the problems you're having?