What's new

Surge Protectors (1 Viewer)

kat.hayes

Auditioning
Real Name
Kat Hayes
I have a Denon 3808CI receiver and want to know if a Belkin surge protector that indicates 550VA would be sufficient to protect it from spikes or surges? If so, what else can I also plug into it before it becomes overloaded? If it is not sufficient, what voltage requirements should I look for?

Thanks!

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
I would imagine that this Belkin device is also a battery back-up. The 550VA indicates (perhaps) how much it can support via battery -- not much. However as a surge device, well, that's usually rated in Joules, kilo-joules, as well as volts.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
As previously stated, the 550VA measure will determine how long the connected equipment can be expected to run on battery, [usually not a serious concern for home theater equipment]. What really matters is how well it can protect your equipment from spikes, surges, and otherwise "unclean" power. These type of threats come from the power source [commercial power, or nature, i.e. lightening] and can either severely degrade [unclean power] or even destroy [spikes and surges] equipment. Look for an iron clad replacement guarantee if properly connected equipment is damaged. Also be sure to register the surge protection product so the manufacturer will have all necessary information on file in case of loss. That's your safest bet.

John

chuckg

Supporting Actor
Actually, that 550VA means "550 volt-amps" which is another way to measure wattage. (purists, I'm intentionally simplifying!) If your amplifier is less than 500 watts total, then the battery backup will operate it.

This says nothing about how long the battery will supply power, though. There may be a rating in watt-hours or amp-hours for the battery, and a little math will tell you how long it will run, usually no more than a few minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sajidjadoonisbb
Recent bookmarks