Surge Protectors for HT Components

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by cobratx, Aug 23, 2006.

1. cobratx

cobratx Auditioning

Hi, newbie here. In the old day’s I’d buy a $10-$30 surge protector to protect my computer from surges. Now I’m being told I need to buy a $100-$300 dollar surge protector to filter/protect my audio and video components in a home theatre I’m putting together.

My question is, do you really need one of these high dollar surge protector/filters? Or will an old school $20.00 protector do the job?

If I need the high dollar unit, what should I look for, and what are some recommendations for a good one for a good price?

Thanks All!

2. BrianTwig

BrianTwig Second Unit

Do you "need" one? No. Should you have one? Yes. Aside from protecting the electrical components (receiver, cd player, etc...) the quality protectors also have connections for your cable/sat wires, telephone wires, etc... You run all of the electronics through it.

What good is a $30 surge protector if your TV is plugged into it but your cable/sat wire is unprotected? Your still going to lose your TV to a surge. And likely the DVD player, Sat/cable box, and anything else hooked up to the TV.

I was in the same boat and figured I could get away with a cheap surge protector but then started to think, I just spent thousands of dollars on this equipment, do I want to cheap out now on a surge protector and risk losing everything? Or is it better to spend a few extra dollars for more complete protection and piece of mind? I spent the money.

And you can get quality products for not a lot of cash. I got the PureAV PF60 for like $156 if memory serves me right at ProVantage. It has a rediculous retail price of $750 and I actually saw it at Best Buy yesterday with that price on it!

PureAV has lesser models that will fit the bill and cost less. TrippLite also has top notch products at affordable prices. Belkin as well (PureAV is also from Belkin).

3. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

In some places a surge protector might be overkill and in others not enough protection (edit to add that I would consider a surge protector a necessary piece of equipment--other differ). The electricity where I live, for example, is not only interrupted occasionally, but also often has insufficient voltage on the line.

I have a small UPS/voltage regulator/surge protector in my bedroom for my TV and DVD player (and VCR) and a larger one in our back room with a larger TV/receiver/DVR/VCR/DVD player. All of my components are connected via the UPS and also the cable from the satellite dish.

The back room also has my computer, printer, modem, router, VOIP link and base phone. So I have another UPS/voltage regulator/surge protector with everything connected to it—and here my landline also goes through the UPS before it ever becomes my phone and DSL connection.

Now this may well be overkill in some places and for some people, but all this electronic equipment cost a fair amount of money—and the added ability to keep the computer up for a bit or to turn the TV off when the power fails is very nice. Also the DVR will keep recording for quite a while, even during a power failure, especially if the other HT components are turned off.

4. Lew Crippen

APC (American Power Conversion) makes both commercial and home products. They have a small UPS/surge protector (no voltage regulator) for around $50 and larger units (including VR) for more. The more equipment you plan on hooking up, the larger the unit you will need. Also the larger units typically have larger batteries. APC also makes pretty good surge protectors and power conditioners—one might be all you need.

There are other reliable companies as well. This is one with which I’ve had some experience.

Good luck.

5. Lew Crippen

Belkin is another pretty good company.