Surge protectors and joules

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jay W., Nov 24, 2003.

1. Jay W.

Jay W. Stunt Coordinator

I am looking for a new surge protector. I came across the Power Blocker 2 by newpiont for $39. And the back of the package it says joules are no longer a concern with this unit because it quickly senses and stops surges and protects
    bettter than the highest joule rated protectors and is 1000 faster. Is this BS or should i get one with a joule rating. I was looking at one at staples for $45 that has 2655 joules.

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I sent them an email asking for clarification regarding the mechanism and whether it's UL listed. A fairly inexpensive unit, based on MOV, but close to 3000 joules is the Stratitec.

3. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

If you're willing to spend $250 or so, I recommend Brickwall surge protectors. No MOV's in a Brickwall protector!

4. Jay W.

Jay W. Stunt Coordinator

What is MOV?

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Metal Oxide Varistors...a google search will turn up a bunch of stuff. A very short answer is that they're a device that when confronted by a surge, divert that surge to your ground therebye preventing your equipment from getting blasted. Since their ruggedness depends on their size/capacity, if that's going to be your primary device, then get the one with the higher joule rating, all else being equal.