What's new

Surge protectors and joules (1 Viewer)

Jay W.

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking for a new surge protector. I came across the Power Blocker 2 by newpiont for $39. And the back of the package it says joules are no longer a concern with this unit because it quickly senses and stops surges and protects
bettter than the highest joule rated protectors and is 1000 faster. Is this BS or should i get one with a joule rating. I was looking at one at staples for $45 that has 2655 joules.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I sent them an email asking for clarification regarding the mechanism and whether it's UL listed. A fairly inexpensive unit, based on MOV, but close to 3000 joules is the Stratitec.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Metal Oxide Varistors...a google search will turn up a bunch of stuff. A very short answer is that they're a device that when confronted by a surge, divert that surge to your ground therebye preventing your equipment from getting blasted. Since their ruggedness depends on their size/capacity, if that's going to be your primary device, then get the one with the higher joule rating, all else being equal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks