What's new

Surge protectors and high current amps (1 Viewer)

Gerard Martin

Second Unit
I have been told surge protectors can
reduce current to high current receivers thus reducing receiver performance. A well known surge protector company said they never heard
of such a thing, what is true and
what would you suggest to protect high
current receivers. Thanks.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Panamax has stated that all of their traces are capable of carrying more than 15 amps, so there shouldn't be any loss of power.

Luis A

Second Unit
Gerard,
I had two B&K REF220M amps plugged into a Panamax1000+ in my wifes office. One night, just for S&G, I plugged the amps straight into the wall, and WOW. The difference was huge. I also unplugged my kids Denon receiver from their Pmax1000, and the sound opened up quite a bit. The only product I've tried that doesn't "choke" the amp is a PS Audio High Current Ultimate Outlet. I've also heard good things about Richard Gray's Power Company 400S, and the Monster Cable AVS2000 Voltage Stabilizer. Hope this helps.:)
L
http://www.psaudio.com
http://www.richardgrayspowercompany.com
http://www.monstercable.com

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
Quesiton about the PS Audio Ultimate Outlet: Can I plug in a power strip and then use it for all my equipment?

HankM

Second Unit
Marc,

Yes you can. I would recommend that you get an UO than get a Juice Bar also made by PS Audio. The JB has six Power Port outlets, these are very high quality. I replaced my $2.00 wall duplex with a Power Port. The high current UO is $400 & the JB is $200. In my system I have a UO & a Power Plant 300. PS Audio makes amazing power products.

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
Now I'm worried. I have most things connected to my Spike Master surge bar. Is it any good? Does it decrease sound quality?

HankM

Second Unit
Howard,

Listen to your system plugged into the SM strip then try listening to it without it. I have had all kinds of power products in my system at one time or another. The safest way is to audition different brands. I first started with a Wood's from Home Depot. I then moved to a Radio Shack strip then to Panamax, Chang Lightspeed, Monster Cable and now I'm very happy with what I got in PS Audio.

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
But the stuff you're talking about is quite expensive. I can't be better off not protecting my equipment though right?

HankM

Second Unit
There are brands that offer cost effective power conditioning and great sound quality. The Monster Cable HTS 1000 & 2000 get rave reviews for sound quality & protection. Panamax is also highly regarded. Prices are $150 & $200 for the MOnster units.

David Judah

Screenwriter
The Monster HTS 2000 & the new Power bar(HTS 2100, I think) has 2 high current outlets especially made for seperate amplifiers--the HTS 1000 does not.

I haven't noticed any clamping down on my Sunfire Cinema Grand or the Adcom 5400 that I use for my sub by the HTS 2000.

DJ

Shawn Sefranek

Second Unit
I have the same question about Amps in my system.

I have an SVS Plus system on order with the Samson S1000.

I’m wondering if I should get a Surge Protector for it.

My other (2) system Amps (Parasound HCA-2003A & B&K Video 5 Sonata) are connected through a Panamax Max1000+.

The rest of my equipment is connected through another Panamax Max1000+ unit.

I’m near the 1,800 Watt A/C maximum for both units so I can’t add the S1000 to one of those.

Shawn S

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks