Surge Protectors and grounding?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jack_TN, Sep 18, 2003.

1. Jack_TN

Jack_TN Stunt Coordinator

If I have my HT components connected to one surge protector and my TV connected to another surge protector on a different outlet (because they aren't located right together), would I need to worry about ground loops or any other grounding problems?

I'm considering using a Panamax Max 8 for the TV and a Max 8 DBS+5 for all the other HT equipment, to include the phone and satellite or cable inputs. They looked like they offer good protection and ac4l has them at a very nice price. If something did happen to any of the equipment, could Panamax rightfully deny a claim on the basis that my system was not all properly grounded together, or am I just worrying about nothing? [​IMG]

Jack

2. Clemens

Clemens Extra

Surge protectors connected in serial seems to be the recommended way. Can you reach the HT equipments while your second surge protector is plugged into your first surge protector?

3. Gary Silverman

Gary Silverman Stunt Coordinator

Jack, if your house is wired properly, I wouldn't worry too much about ground loops. If the 2 receptacles you're plugged in to are on the same circuit, you have even less of a chance of having a problem.
    I don't think that Panamax would have any claim to improper grounding.
    But, a question to everyone.........Have you ever collected on a claim to one of these surge suppressor manufacturers? I had a surge suppressor at work that failed, and the manufacturer claimed that, since it failed doing it's job, they wouldn't even replace the suppressor! Fortunately, it DID protect the equipment that was plugged into it.

4. Jack_TN

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

6. Jack_TN

Chu,

Good advice on depending more on homeowner's insurance for covering damage. I had a ham radio damaged from a lightning strike to a tree near the house. Homeowner's covered it without any problem. I'm not surprised that the surge protector manufacturers would make you jump through hoops to collect from them.

Actually, I don't have everything set up and running [​IMG] I'm fixing to move, and trying to figure out how to set things up at the new place.

Jack

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

start with that whole house protector Jack and put some localized units here and there. Myself, I prefer those to be based on silicon avalanche diode technology, but the whole house unit, bought or rented, is the key here. Rather than repeat myself, do a search in Tweaks under my name and the words 'whole house' and you'll see my reasoning.

8. Simon Ngan

Simon Ngan Stunt Coordinator

While on a similar topic, I was told it's bad to plug surge protectors together (piggy back each one) because of the sine wave or something.

Here's the situation, I have a Panamax 5300 which has 12 switched/un-switched outlets in the back. While it seems a lot, I run out of outlets.

Basically I have all electronic gears connected to the back and for one unswitched outlet, I plugged a Panamax 8 for the MartinLogan speakers and some wall-warts for IR repeaters, SLinke, etc.

So should I worry about it?

Thanks for your help,

Simon