Surge Protector

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Cire, Oct 5, 2002.

1. Cire

Cire Stunt Coordinator

Good day! I'd like to know.. when you refer to surge protectors, do you refer to AVRs? And for an average 100W x 6 amp for example, would a 1KVA AVR be enough? Is it related at all or should I just look at the power consumption indicated at the back of the unit?

Thanks..

2. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

What do you meanm by AVR in this case? Is this a battery back-up?
    Do you have some surge protector models you're looking at? Generally, the ones with multi plugs take up to 1800 watts power consumption on a 15-amp ccrcuit.

3. Cire

Cire Stunt Coordinator

bill.. I mean Automatic Voltage Regulator.. i'm currently using one with a 500VA capacity for television and dvd, this unit has four plugs (3 x 220volts and 1 x 110 volts) but i'm sure it won't be able to carry an additional load such as that of a receiver.
    but in this case, i'm not sure if the AVRs I refer to is the same as the surge protector which has been talked about in this forum. [​IMG]

4. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Give us the make/model of your AVR.
    It has 220V configuration. What's your wall power supply there? And what receiver -- is it 110-120V or 220V such as European? (I am uncertain about Asian power supply).

5. Cire

Cire Stunt Coordinator

Bill.. my AVR is rated 1 kilo Volt-Amperes (i'm out of the country right now so i can't check the brand or model) and its source can be selected as 110v or 220v, in Manila, we use a 220v source, and hence, i'd be looking at a 220v receiver (in the very, very near future [​IMG] ).
    so then, would you say that my AVR (Automatic Voltage Regulator) is the same as the surge protector refered to here?
    thanks..

6. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Cire,

Yes, a 1000VA auto voltage regulator is just big enough for a HT system at 220V (say 500 watts Power Consumption: a tv may draw 250watts, a rcvr 300watts and a DVDp 15watts at full load).

Some AVR models have a little surge suppression features and some are better than others. I cant say more without being able to look up the model online for its specs.

You can always piggyback a AVR into a dedicated surge protector. But I haven’t had to work with 220V so it’s a different game.

7. Cire

Cire Stunt Coordinator

thanks Bill!
    anyway, I think I know now.. the AVR keeps a steady output voltage but the surge protector simply keeps an upper limit. And this upper limit isn't dependent on the load but solely on the source. Is that right?

8. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I am moving this to Tweaks/Connections/Accessories.

9. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Cire,
    here's one company's FAQs on surge/spike protection, or what engineers call Transient Voltage Surge Suppression HERE