What's new

Surge Protector (1 Viewer)

Jay Foster

Stunt Coordinator
I read the post about this which is a sticky. After reading it, I am still unsure about what I should get.

I have cable at home and the last surge protector I bought would not allow me to view ppv when the cable was run through the surge protector. I would like to get one that allows me to run the surge protector through this but still protects from strikes and has an equipment guarantee.

I don't want to spend several hundred dollars. Budget is around $150.00. Anyone have a suggestion on what to get?

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
What were you using and what did the cable company say when you described your problem to them?

Jay Foster

Stunt Coordinator
I will have to check the surge protector to see what kind it was.

What happened is when I was ordering ppv, the picture would constantly "tile" and was unwatchable. The cable company came out and disconnected the cable from the surge protector and ppv has worked fine since then.

The reason I want one that takes care of cable also, is I live in an area where we get lots of thunderstorms and believe it or not, lightning actually struck the ground, went about 3 feet underground, cut the cable in half but luckily did not ruin my equipment.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Could be a few issues at play there Jay.
You're splitting your cable and the surge protector had too large of an insertion loss. Usually you can find this spec on a product. If not, ask. Should be able to have one with a loss that's a fractional part of dB. I'd have thought the company would've run some signal strength tests to check matters.
The cable you've got has gone bad. Specifically, it needs to be reterminated.
It's really a very unusual and uncommon problem. And yes, that's a nice looking powercenter. There are so many ways to skin this particular cat. For example, there are products like this,

that go in-line. Variations on this one ($25 but there's plenty cheaper) have an attachment that allows you to run a grounding wire from them to the grounding rod outside your home. In fact, they'd be located about 10 feet or less from the grounding rod. An example of such a product looks like this...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks