surge protector with switched outlets AND time delay??

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by PaulDF, Dec 27, 2003.

1. PaulDF

PaulDF Second Unit

I am looking for a surge protector with switched outlets, such as the "Smart Strip" recently referred to here, BUT also with a time delay.

I'm getting tired of the launch sequence of buttons to fire up my HT, but am plagued by the need to power up some of my components in order. My equipment is fairly modest and I do not want to spend a LOT of money on an item when all it will really do is allow me to press a minimal amount of buttons to watch a movie. The time delay strips I have seen are quite expensive and out of my price range.

My biggest problem is with the EQ in-line with my sub amp. When it powers on/off it gives a huge BUMP if the sub amp is on or even on standby. Some say to leave the EQ on to avoid the bump, but I am not comfortable with this. It would also be nice to have everything come on at once.

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    What is your price range?

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

You could consider some of the products from Niles Audio where you'll also find pdf's on most of the stuff. Contacting them and detailing your requirements should enable you to put something together that works exactly as you want it. You'll find Niles products in a variety of places that probably include professional musiican stores like your local Guitar Center. They likely would also have other manufacturers for you to consider.

4. PaulDF

PaulDF Second Unit

My price range... Probably too low, less than $200.00 CAD. As I said, I am curious as to the lowest priced but yet still of reasonable quality.

A few of the Niles products look very useful to me, but cannot find a price list. I am certain it is far over what I'd be able to spend.

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    It may be a challenge to find sequencing with a surge protector, as most I’ve seen are associated with line conditioners. However, you could get one and plug it into a surge protector.

I’m using a discontinued Adcom ACE-515 conditioner/sequencer. It shouldn’t be hard to find them on eBay for $125 or less. Adcom has replaced this unit, but I don’t know if the latest models include the sequencing.

Panamax also makes conditioner/sequencers, but new ones will probably be out of your price range. You might check their website to identify the sequencing models and then shop for them on eBay.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt