What's new

Surge protector recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
After a recent thunderstorm damaged my PC (it came through my DSL line), I'm looking for a good surge protector. I need about 8 outlets and DSL phone line protection. Any suggestions?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Any of the major brands (APC, Belkin, etc.) that come with attached equipment insurance would be a good choice. For a few extra bucks you can get one with a small battery built-in, which will prevent your PC from rebooting if there is a brief power interruption. (Just don't connect your laser printer printer to it unless you want to battery killed in about 2 seconds and the breaker to pop.)

The thing to remember about surge protectors is that they get "used up". In effect, the surge protector defends the components of your computer by sacrificing its own circuitry - basically it has the ability to stop X surges of Y power. And every surge reduces the value of "X" by one. Eventually you no longer have a surge protector, you have a power strip. :) So look for one that has a visual indicator (usually an LED) to let you know when it is still actively protecting your equipment - and replace it when it stops doing so. I generally replace my surger protectors every couple of years.

Regards,

Joe

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
The one I have seems to work fine, but the phone line protection affects my DSL speed if I use it. Are most of the newer protectors compatible with DSL lines now?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
That's odd. I've never heard of that particular problem. Where is the DSL filter - on the input or the output from the surge protector? I've had DSL for years and have never had a surge protector affect the speed.

Regards,

Joe

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
It's on the input. I've tried it both ways and it still affects my speed. It's an older surge protector. I'm just going to purchase a new one. After a good 5 years, it's probably time to replace it anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks