What's new

Surge protector recommendations (1 Viewer)

Ken Holmes

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking for a good surge protector for under $125. Anyone recommend what I should consider in this price range?

Thanks,
Ken H

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Poke around here and consider the Isolator line. If something strikes your fancy, see if you can get a good price online. If you're really strapped for cash, the Stratitec, available at Sam's Club for around $20 is a pretty good deal.

Ken Holmes

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the input. I checked out the Belkin link and I was wondering,I want surge protection but I also seem to be getting interference from other devices like the refigerator so I want something that could prevent this. Would the following better suit my needs?

PureAV™ Home Theater Power Conditioner PF30
12 Outlet PureAV Home Theater Power Conditioner PF30 with Phase 3 PureFilter Circuitry including isolated digital, audio, and video filters.

Would the above be a better option than the following for my situation?

PureAV™ Isolator Home Theater Surge Protector by Belkin
The 10-outlet, 4720 Joule, PureAV Isolator Home Theater Surge Protector offers the most complete protection from power surges, AC contamination, and spikes available.

Thanks for the thoughts

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'm not really sure what your situation is so it's hard to comment. For starters, what kind of intereference are you talking about? How did you determine that it's your fridge? Did you try unplugging other appliances or shutting down the breaker on other lines in an attempt to isolate it? What else is on the same circuit as your HT? Maybe dimmers, fluorescents, charging your cell phone? Maybe a bad cable? You might want to begin by identifying just what is on what circuit in your home or apartment. I believe refrigerators are supposed to be on their own circuit according to NEC code.

If the interference is a result of something contaminating the AC line, then you stand a reasonable chance at being to mitigate or eliminate it with one of these surge protectors since they contain emi/rfi circuitry. OTOH, if the interference is airborn from something like a noisy ballast that's broadcasting junk into the air, you'll need a different approach.

One of the office supply stores, Staples, Office Depot, OfficeMax, carries the Belkin Isolators but not the one that contains the coax/satellite feature. Give it a shot to see if it takes care of your problem. Basically, what you'd do is take the unit that's giving you the problem and stick it on the farthest end. If that seems to do the trick then you can weigh in your own mind if you want to spring for something like the PF30 for a shelf based device.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks