What's new

Surge Protector Purchase - asking for opinions (1 Viewer)

Bob Elliott

Agent
I am looking for a power strip to protect my electronics.

How do you guys like the Monster Cable HTS 1000 MKII? I found it for $149.95 + free shipping. Is there a better option for about the same price? What would you do.

TIA for the help.

Bob Elliott

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
...taking another crack at this are you Bob?:)

I assume you dont have a HUGE investment in multiple electronic black boxes and very expensive video monitors, so the paranoia factor may be lower. So following the earlier suggestions, Whole-House Surge Suppressor as the first line of defense may not fit your circumstances.

This, coupled with the fact that your geographic location (Calif Central Coast) is not known for thunder/lightning activity, suggests you can get away with a fairly small plug-in power strip such as you're looking at..

The Monster 1000 I regard as entry level, and of course it brings Monster's inflated retail price(s) :thumbsdown:

Really, the current Radio Shack $49.95 HT surge protector with around 2500 Joules protection, an audible alarm and reset button, and 11 plugs as I recall ought to do the job just fine.

Others at this level are Panamax MAX 8 DBS+5 around $75 from HERE tho it's out of stock now); or the $49 COAX model if all you run is tv cable coax. TrippLite Isobar 6 DBS is another tried-and-tested model under $100. Partsexpress.com has it.

See where we're going here? Monster wud be OK if one had an employee accommodation IMO.

If mail order seems too arduous, the Office Max/Depot type chain or Circuit City stores carry various Belkin models -- look for a SurgeMaster with the coax terminals. The Pure AV is the newest -- and hefty protection-- model, tho it's priced over $100.

bill

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
A search on Tweaks will provide much useful information IMO. Try this one for starters. It's not about price, it's about a deeper understanding.

ken-m

Agent
I LIVE IN MOBILE, AL AND WE HAVE A LOT OF LIGHTNING. I HAVE USED THE MONSTER HTS800 FOR ABOUT TWO YEARS AND IT IS VERY RELIABLE. BELKIN PRODUCTS ARE GOOD TOO. HAVE ONE OF THOSE ON MY COMPUTER.

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
The Panamax and Tripp Lite Isobar models Bill suggests are a good bet. I own both Panamax and Tripp Lite models. But I just had a bad experience with a Isobar 6 DBS unit that has soured me somewhat on the Tripp Lite Isobar series. I had to move it and when I plugged everything back in and then switched the power back on, I heard a small pop, the light didn't come on the switch and I got the faint acrid smell one gets from burning electronics. It appears something burned out inside the box when I flicked it on. I'm not sure how or what - whether it was static discharge from me or a surge or just a random failure. I've ordered a Panamax Max8 Coax unit to replace it. So, I guess it's important to remember that these things can fail too :)

cheers,

--tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks