Surge protector, power bar...

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by James_Barcus, May 16, 2004.

1. James_Barcus

James_Barcus Agent

Ok here's the deal.. I have 10 things I need to plug in somewhere.. and a surge protector with like 6 outlets... I'd like to figure out how to plug all of them into the only outlet I have access too in my living room. Is there a surge protector that is made with more than 6 outlets that I can plug into my wall outlet and not blow or burn my house down? LoL. thanks1!!

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Would the 10 things draw 15 Amps or more?

3. James_Barcus

James_Barcus Agent

I'm not sure.. it's my TV, Sony Wega Trinitron, Receiver, DVD/VCR Player, old WEbTV, Cable Box, Xbox, PS2, GameCube, Sub Woofer, and my automatic video selecter...

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

That is a LOT of things to put on one circuit, let alone one outlet and powerstrip.

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

My gut feeling is that all those units are not going to pull 15 amps although I don't know what else you've got on the circuit.
    A pretty cost effective way for you to utilize one outlet with all those pieces is to scrap your 6 outlet surge protector. Instead get a 12 outlet Stratitec. I realize this is a bundle, but it's cheaper to buy the bundle instead of just the 12 outlet unit by itself. While you can get it from Stratitec direct I think, you'll likely be paying list price and that's no fun. If you get it at Sams Club it'll be under $19. Online, you can find it at Directron for $25 plus s/h and tax maybe.
    This will give you an extra two outlets, a shade over 3000 joules (more joules, longer life), a place for you to run your cable into, and the usual stuff like emi/rfi protection. Just 'cause it's around $25 doesn't mean it doesn't give you the same protection as something costing 10x that amount.
    Good luck.

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    As long as your receiver and sub have only moderate power output (say 100 watts/channel for the receiver, 200 watts for the sub) you should be all right; none of the other stuff has any significant power draw.

Get a second power strip. I assume the outlet in question has two plugs, so use them both (i.e., don’t plug one strip into the other). Don’t plug the sub and receiver into the same power strip.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt