Surge protector for my sub. Will this do ???

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Kevin*Harley, Jul 24, 2003.

1. Kevin*Harley

Kevin*Harley Stunt Coordinator

Found a better place for my sub but requires me to get an additional surge protector. I have a Panamax 4300 for the rest of my system and only need to plug my sub into the new one. I have a Velodyne HGS-15II.

Don't want to spend $100+ but realllllllly don't want to buy a new sub.

Is this Underkill? Overkill? Just right?

http://www.panamax.com/Products/prod...sp?sname=m2sub

2. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Kevin,

Yes. Panamax 2Sub is what I'd recommend; and for $35 or so HERE

MonsterPower sells a similar device for >$50[​IMG]

The possible downside to watch for is plugging the sub into a separate circuit from the main HT system, which may, or may not, introduce a ground loop HUM. I wouldn't worry about this until you're there -- there are several workarounds in such a case.

bill

3. Kevin*Harley

Bill,
    Appreciate your input and the link.

The sub is currently plugged directly into the wall and there's no HUM so I don't anticipate a problem.

Thanks,
    Kevin

4. MikeKaz

MikeKaz Stunt Coordinator

I don't get it- what's the point of this device rather than just a surge protector?

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

If all you need is a surge protector to protect one device, the sub, then a more elegant solution would be to simply replace the outlet with one that contains a surge protector as part of its construction.

For example, this hospital receptacle from Leviton is but one of many types from many manufacturers that'd do the job and not be obtrusive. Maybe HD has them but very likely your local electrical supply house can suggest something appropriate. Leviton was only an example.

6. Kevin*Harley

7. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Kevin,

I think GFCI shock protection and Hospital Grade duplex construction are extraneous to your needs.
    I use a Leviton Industrial Grade Surge Protective receptacle for my 900mHz telephone. Catalog No. 5280 (15Amp). It specs at 320 Joules. Clamping level is 150V rms and 400V peak (lower is better).
    Yes, it's "elegant" flush-mounted and a lil LED lite, too. Conceivably, it cud work for a Subwoofer amplifier in the absense of living where there is year-round electrical storms and lightning and/or power grid outage fluctuations.

OTOH the Panamax 2Sub is a beefier, more mainstream surge protector, claiming:

The Max 2 Sub can handle up to 15A at 1800W of equipment. The response time is less than 1 nanosecond, and it is UL1449 rated at 330V. The spike capacity is 52,000A. Single pulse energy dissipation is rated at 1350 Joules. Initial clamping level is 141V RMS, with 200V peak.

Just more info...

bill

8. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

not necessary at all. just happened to be the link I pulled up. GFI aren't necessary unless you're the sort of person who likes to listen to their system with your feet in a pool of water, and besides, its not a surge suppressor. Of course with a hospital unit, you can hook up a caffeine IV drip and listen to ER reruns [​IMG]
    You've got a few ways to go. Do what works for you.

9. StephenL

StephenL Second Unit

Ideally, all interconnected components should be plugged into the same surge protector to minimize any difference in voltage potential between those components. A surge can cause a large difference in potential between components (a receiver and subwoofer, for example) that are plugged into different outlets. That difference in potential will equalize through the cables connecting the components, possibly causing damage. The Panamax Max 2 Sub provides protection through the RCA connectors.