Surge protector/audio quality?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by ericMM, Sep 8, 2005.

1. ericMM

ericMM Extra

I'm about to use a very cheap six outlet surge protector for my upcoming dorm audio system (CBM-170's, denon 60 wpc, etc). Could this lead to worse performance than simply plugging the equipment straight into the wall? Should I invest in something like a monster surge protector (i get something like a 60% discount because my last two jobs had me get "monster certified"?

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    If it restrcts current, you could lose some dynamics plugging stuff that draws current (e.g. amps). Try it with and without it after you have the system set-up listening to your favorite discs.

3. ericMM

ericMM Extra

It states "15 amps" on the back. That sounds like an aweful lot of current so it'll probably be okay; nevertheless, I'll do a comparison with the actual equipment to make up my mind.

4. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    It may be rated at 15 amps but may see a demanding piece of music and mistake it for a surge and repress the dynamics.

5. chris_everett

chris_everett Second Unit

If you have a dorm system that actually pulls 15 amps of power, you'll probably get thrown onto the street so fast your head will spin.

Any decent amps should have a good enough power supply that it won't make anything like a "surge" on the line. If it does, you'll blow the breaker (maybe), But it's not going to do anything with a surge suppressor. If you have a 60% discount on monster stuff, I would use it on the cheapest one they have with enough outlets for your gear. But it won't help/hurt your sound.