Surge protection

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg_L_C, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Greg_L_C

Greg_L_C Stunt Coordinator

Is surge protection for my dish and cable box something I should be concerned about. Is RG6 cable susceptible to a lightning strike or a power surge of some kind? will running the cable trough some type of surge protection degrated the signal?

Thanks

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Michael's right about protecting everything. These days, all of our systems are connected to each other directly or indirectly ..... computer with phone line, computer with home theatre, vcr with cable, vcr with home theatre etc etc etc so any component that is not properly protected can potentially be harmful to another component down the line.

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

in college, i was "experimenting" with the wiring on a halogen light attached to the same strip all my gear was on.
    as the experiment went "badly" [​IMG] , i know FOR SURE that if it wasn't for the surge strip, i would have toasted a good 3K worth of stuff.
    so, ever since then, i plug everything electrical into a decent quality surge strip...heck...even my 40 dollar answering machine is plugged into a strip!