Surge protection/power conditioner

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Kevin_F, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Kevin_F

Kevin_F Stunt Coordinator

What type or brand of either surge protection or a power conditioner do you guys use?

Is there a difference between the two?

2. David Noll

David Noll Stunt Coordinator

Kevin,

I'm using a Panamax MAX 5300 surge/line conditioning system.
    This unit does both. Isolates all incoming/outgoing lines and all equipment in the theater from lightening and surges. Conditions power and is programmable for both low and high voltage shut down. It also improves audio performance, particularly bass response. Highly recommended.

Dave

3. Bryce_H

Bryce_H Stunt Coordinator

Just bought a Pananmax 5510 to suppliment the panamax 550 I've had for about 5 years. the 550 will be for the living room setup and the 5510 for the dedicated HT I'm building in the basement. Have loved the 550 which sold me on the 5510.

4. john.michael

john.michael Agent

How do I mesure the size of the power conditioner? I will be using a Lexicon NT 512 (5x120w) and a Lexicon NT 212 (2x120w). Calculate about 25A draw of power.

Should I use a voltage regulator as well?

How about a no-break, any recommendations (I have lots of brown outs and black outs in my place).

5. Andrew Stoakley

Andrew Stoakley Stunt Coordinator

Hey John,

I use a Panamax 500 and it works just fine. I have it plugged into a dedicted 15amp circut directly from my panel. I've never had any problems with dirty power or surges. However, I did not run my cable line through the cable protector as I found it did add colouration to the signal.

Cheers,
    Andrew

6. Kevin_F

So far it seems that Panomax is the preferred brand, anyone have any others? Any experiences with Belkin?

7. Andrew Stoakley

Hey Kevin,

I also have a single pole Belkin surge protector for my TV in the theatre. So far, so good. No problems with spikes, surges, dirt or power colouration. Not too sure about multi-tap bars though.

Cheers,
    Andrew

8. Kevin_F

Thanks Andrew, the prices of the Belkin multi-tap seem better than the Panomax or Monster (I am boycotting Monster anyway), so I was curious to hear from anyone that may have it.

9. john.michael

john.michael Agent

I just went to the Panamax site and saw that the Panamax 5510 maximum current rating is 15A.

However, my brystons 3b st and 9bst will draw up to 25A!!!!

What should I do to protect them?????

Moreover, the Velodyne DD-12 that I am planning on using has a 12A fuse. So, only on those 3 pieces of gear I should have 37A. I am going to be bankrupt if I try to protect it all.

10. Andrew Stoakley

Hi Kevin,

No problelm. Belkin makes all types of products, whereas Panamax basically focuses on power conditioners and surge protectors (I'm sure there are other products as well, but I can't think of them) [​IMG] That's where their pricing comes into play - a 'boutique' maker of excellent products.

Yes, I know Monster Cable makes lots of products like Belin, but they're just wayyyyy over priced!!!

When you buy your protector, just make sure it's rated to handle all of your power requirements plus some extra juice.

Cheers,
    Andrew

11. Kevin_F

What exactly should I be looking for Andrew?

12. Andrew Stoakley

Hey John,

You'll have to look at getting two 15amp lines to your rack to provide enough power for your amplifiers, and you'll have to get surge protectors / line conditioners to protect your gear.

You mentioned that you have a lot of brown outs and so forth - and for that I would really recommend a UPS that would allow you to shut everything down properly instead of crashing when the power goes out.

I'm sure other people will have other suggestions as well.

Cheers,
    Andrew

13. Andrew Stoakley

Hey Kevin,

Figure out how much power you are drawing, what you want to protect and what your budget is and then decide what it is you want. For example, as far as I know, Belkin doesn't make rackable models.

Start with that and go from there.
    Cheers,
    Andrew

14. Kevin_F

15. Levesque

Levesque Supporting Actor

john.michael

The Panamax 4400 is rated at 20A. I use it for my amps on a 20A dedicated circuit. And a Panamax 5510 for the rest of the equipment.

http://www.panamax.com/products.cfm?...il&id=209&ly=h

So if you could run a dedicated 20A line to your rack, you could use the 4440 for those amps.

And by the way, if your have an average size room, and don't run your speakers to large, 15A would be enough for those 2 amps. I did try my Bryston 4BSST (2X350W) and Anthem P5 (5X325W) on the same 20A circuit, just for fun, and at a really high SPL level, and there was still some juice left on that 20A (speakers to "small", medium sized room).

16. john.michael

john.michael Agent

Lévesque,

Thanks for your input. Are those systems also voltage regulators?

I think I become dumb once I start reading the specs of those things.

17. Andrew Stoakley

Kevin,

Cool! Thanks. I didn't think they did, but alas, I stand corrected [​IMG]

Cheers,
    Andrew

18. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Andrew:

I heard that you were actually sitting when you were corrected. [​IMG]

Great advise from all on the conditioners and UPS. What do you think of TrippLite products? An example of one is here.

Parker

19. TimRP

TimRP Stunt Coordinator

If you know what a MOV is, and you know how they work, you probably wouldn't want them in your system. Get a series mode surge protector. Brickwall, Adcom, and a few others produce them.

http://www.smarthome.com/4401.html

20. Andrew Stoakley

Hey Parker,

Ok, I guess I 'was' sitting at the time of the writing, but, there have been cases when I was standing and writing too :wink:

I had never heard of the Tripp-Lite product before, mostly because I have been really, really happy with my Panamax Max 500.

The one thing I have noticed, which I find really funny is the fact that once Monster Cable came out with colour coded outlet plugs, everyone else in the field seems to have done the same. It's like they think we can't figure out where power cords get plugged in if it doesn't have a label. Ah well, maybe it's just me [​IMG]

Cheers,
    Andrew