What's new

Surge protection or power conditioning? (1 Viewer)

jacuzzibob

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert
Hello to All, I am hoping to obtain some advise on which is a better alternative to protect equipment when powered by auxillary generator. I have burnt-out reading and researching far too many google searches.

My situation is as such; as the winter season is rapidly approaching, the possibility of power outages increases. My HT is not elaborate or high end, but nevertheless expensive. I live way up in the mountains in a winter resort area. When the power goes out it could last for hours/or several days. I have an auxillary generator as a stand-by resourse. I have wired my house with a seperate panel box specificaly to be powered by the generator, that allows us to utilize the basic convieniences. We are able to shower, flush, have coffee, & use the microwave. I wish to include our HT in this mix, but don't want to damage it with dirty, or bad power from the generator. It really would be nice and relaxing to lay back and watch movies by the fire, & candle light when there is four feet of snow on the ground and the rest of my world is paralized.

My thoughts at this time is to install a whole house unit wether it is a surge protector, or power conditioner, or both??? Based on all the information I have gathered, I do think it is prudent to install indivual plug-in surge protectors for the equipment.

Any & all suggustions, recomendations, or comments would be greatly appriciated. Ofcoarse, the best quality at an affordable price is essiential.

Thanks in advance for all replies.......... BOB

chuckg

Supporting Actor
I don't think surge protection would be good enough. The big risk with a generator is low voltage, caused when too many things are on at once. Automatic Power Conditioning can stabilize the line voltage to avoid a brownout problem. I'd put one in specifically for the HT equipment, separate from anything else you do in the house. Get one rated far higher than your equipment load.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You don't want to use a stabilizer on amps or receivers, since stabilizers try to smooth out uneven power demands, which is how amps operate. A power re-generator might be good, but they are extremely expensive.

Companies like Panamax make stabilizers with designated "High Power" outlets for amps, which monitor the incoming voltage and shut down when it drops too low or becomes unstable. That sounds like the ticket for you. You can get one for under $300.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks