What's new

surge protection for cable coming into the house (1 Viewer)

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Does anyone sell a surge protector that just has one or two outlets plus coax cable protection - something that could be installed/mounted at the point of entry where the cable comes into the house. All I've managed to find that comes close to what I'm looking for is this
http://www.panamax.com/products/prod....asp?sname=m2c
thanks for any other pointers or information regarding whether this is something I should do :)
--tom

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
that'd work although i couldn't find any information from panamax at the link you provided that had any details regarding that specific product. there's a slew of products that mitigate the effects of surges as for example this one. Don't take that as a specific recommendation as there are tons out there. Your cable company may even sell some products. If you live in a private home and your cable passes close to your incoming electrical lines, there are more effective approaches to surges than the panamax unit which involve units that tie the ground to your home's external ground. The link i provided i believe discusses a product that employs that approach.

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Chu, thanks for the reply.

I'm basically looking for an inexpensive solution (~$50 range) to surge protection for my cable tv line which currently has no protection at all from any incoming surge/blip that could come in on that wire. Currently where it comes in to the house, I have a cable booster and what I'd like to add a surge protection device for both the cable line and the cable booster power. While my cable does pass close by electrical wiring inside our house in a few places, I'm not sure if this means it would make more sense for me just put surge protectors with cable coax support at each tv location (currently 3 that I care about) or do what I described above which is more efficient and economical for me. Sorry if that Panamax link didn't work for you - the model I was pointing at is the Panamax MAX 2 Coax - it has two protected outlets and also protection for a coaxial cable line. It's MSRP is $50. It is the little brother of the MAX 8 Coax.

thanks,

--tom

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
do you have surge protection for anything else on your ht system...stereo, the other tvs, etc.? also am i reading you right in that you're saying you've got cable coming in, you're amplifying it, and you're splitting it something like 3 ways, yes? also i still don't know if this is a private home as this would allow you to look at other alternatives that would be more cost effective as well as .. it definitely makes sense to protect your cable as well as the other components. how we do it depends.

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
It is a private home and I have the run of the mill $20-30 surge protector multi-outlet strips that one finds at Staples throughout the house. So, the home theater components are on "something" that is most likely UL1449 330V rated but I can't say much more than that about the details. And yes, I'm amplifying the cable signal and then splitting it 4 ways to various parts of the house. The amplification helped somewhat on the higher numbered channels that were a bit weak coming from the cable company. We're also about 90-100 feet from the pole on the street which is most likely the last point of any amplification that the cable company is doing.

thanks,

--tom

RussKon

Stunt Coordinator
monster cable, tripplite, as well as others have surge protectors with coaxial protection included....
www.tripplite.com
i'm not sure of the monster cable site....
russ

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
since the tv's have something (if you're going with MOV based units at the local level, then more joules is better), you could provide local protection for each tv at $6 a pop by buying these or simply consider a product similar to the one i mentioned earlier which would be connected at the point of cable entrance into your home with the ground being connected to your home's external ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks