Surfing experiences on a pda

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Len Cheong, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

Could anybody share experienced they
    have had, surfing the web on a pda? How fast
    did the pages load up and was it a pleasant experience?
    I'm thinking of getting a pda with wifi.

2. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Depends on the PDA.

If you get a "standard" one with a 240x320 pixel screen, it's not all that enjoyable. Very few screens scale well to that small a resolution. It's strictly an "emergency browsing only" thing... (whatever emergency browsing is [​IMG] )

If you get a PDA that has the possibility to run the Opera web browser, you might be happier; they have a really good small screen rendering mode that liberally alters how the page is displayed to make it readable on a small screen. There is no Pocket PC- or Palm-version of it though.

If you get a PDA with a full VGA screen like a Toshiba E80x you'll be better off however. You'll have to tinker a bit with third-party software addons and patches to make it work in VGA mode with most applications but once you do I'm sure it is quite usable. Of course, you need good eyesight to view 640x480 on a screen four inches large.

Palm and Sony have machines with 320x480 resolutions too and while I haven't used one myself, they should probably work passably at that resolution.

In general, though, I find surfing on a small screen to be something you do strictly as a last resort if you can't get at a machine with a real screen.

3. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

Well, I run around with a treo 600 (PDA/phone), the screen on this guy is tiny only 160x160. I'm with sprint so I use sprints CDMA connection for data which isn't too shabby. My program of choice is WebPro for surfing the net, it uses a proxy to reformat pages into a more manageable version and speeds up the downloading time quite a bit by shrinking image sizes.

I actually don't mind it at all, I only use it for forum browsing and checking my yahoo account though. It's not really fast enough nor manageable enough to do much other than the basics. It is cool to be able to keep up on the news/weather/email/etc during dry times away from the house.