What's new

Surface ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I kinda like how the characters aren't all that altruistic, and act in their own self-interest. Nimrod's snack scene was hilarious given how mean those girls were to setting up Miles. I didn't really remember seeing 15 year old girls built like Amber in my youth, but you have to love TV for casting a 22 year old in the part. :D

chuck_b

Supporting Actor
I was trying to keep count how many times Nimrod's owners eyes veered downward as he talked to the "young" lady.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt

Too funny. Did anyone else think that Miles was being setup from the beginning?

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I didn't, but I can see the boys breaking into the local pound and cleaning it out, or setting traps of some sort to lure the local animals in!

Glenn

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
They were...rather amazing weren't they? And if she was 15, I'm at least 48.

I went ahead and watched the four-ep marathon and I'd say I'm reasonably hooked. I'd agree with the above posts that Surface is easily the most involving of the glut of supernatural shows, including the already somewhat plodding Threshold (Sorry, Carla - pity they canned Karen Sisco, a much better vehicle for her). And Invasion had better heat up soon or even its lead-in won't help it.

Back to Surface. The steady stream of Spielberg references (mostly to Close Encounters and, to a lesser extent, E.T.) is almost too much, however. Is he one of the producers? Not that I don't love Spielberg, but they're treading the fine line between homage and rip-off. They at least seemed to acknowledge their CE3K debt by actually quoting a line from it verbatim ("Made a sound I would not want to hear twice in my life.")

--Jefferson Morris

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
10/17/05

Poor lil' Nim, got shot with a nail gun, self-inflicted too.

The horror for Savannah having to not move while that nasty pool water flowed past her was funny.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
NBC just ordered "additonal episodes" of Surface and seem pretty optimistic due to the show posting increased viewership in the last few weeks.

Not clear whether its a full seaon order though.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I'm with you Jefferson, Surface is certainly my choice of the sci-fi series this fall. Far more cohesive and they've gotten good mileage from the multiple storyline perspectives. Threshold, which was originally my favorite of the tree, has really stagnated and Invasion is either a slow build plotline where they're lulling us into a bored stupor before unleashing some massively entertaining...anything, or it's just a lackluster pod people series.

I always thought that Surface was handicapped because getting a full season out of a sea monster seemed impossible to me, but they've done admirably for five hours so far.

I've got a few ideas about the meteors which may tie into the submarine. Not really spoilers as its just speculation, but just in case...

What if the meteors were some kind of alien transport which is letting the creatures out so that they can terraform the planet into a hotter climate for their benefit. The sea creatures are their form of terraforming. The sub was disabled by a creature and then the crew was taken by the aliens for observation and perhaps experimentation. The sailor who washed ashore in last nights episode has curious scars that could be a form of autopsy incisions.

If that's so, I can see how they could make this a multi-season series what with the one-two punch twist opportunity.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I'm an idiot.

I missed Monday's episode because I set my Season Pass to record Surface on the SciFi channel instead of NBC. But SciFi is gearing up for its yearly Halloween cheesefest (not that there's anything wrong with that ;)) and won't be airing Surface for at least the next two weeks. So I missed my only chance to see Monday's episode.

If someone could provide a short, spoilerized synopsis. I'd be grateful. Just very major plot points, please -- who died, new discoveries about the creature, or other major changes so I won't be lost next week. Don't bother with things that result in no net change (e.g., Nimrod escaping and then coming back, or big sister being nice and then returning to her evil ways, or crazy guy flipping out and getting arrested again, etc.). I'm not looking to be entertained, just to be caught up plot-wise.

Thanks.

Meanwhile, I've fixed my Season Pass issue, so I shouldn't be any more trouble.

No, really. I swear it won't happen again.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Well, after you cut out all the stuff you don't want (all of which basically happened):

The creature tagged by Laura swam up a river in California and was seen by a number of people, many of which assume it was a humpback whale. The Coast Guard was trying to herd it back out to sea when it did it's electro-pulse thing and zapped all the digital photos everyone had been taking.

One of the crew of the missing/abandoned submarine apparently washed up on the coast of Madagascar. He appears to be dead, with some odd scars/marks on his body.

It appears that Laura will now be allowed to collaborate with the government and their scientist (Cirko?) on the study of the creature. They intercepted her at the riverside dock where the creature had appeared.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Also
The "15 year old" girl in the bikini top was MIA this episode. I may have to tune out soon if this keeps up.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I was wondering how long it would take for the government to finally do something decent with Daughtery. Based on the preview summary on the NBC site, though, the government might be back to its evil ways soon.

One thing which I really wonder about it the lake where Miles found Nim's egg. There must have been loads of them there. Surely something must have happened with respect to those. Did one eat the rest? Were there some other problems in the lake becuase of them? They really need to visit that again.

Neil

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member

That wasn't a lake I thought. I think they found those in the ocean. He was wakeboarding in a bay or something and went back there and found the eggs.

Anyway that's what I think.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
10/24/05

No kidding, don't be messing with Nim by using an electrical prod, that's just asking for it. I was surprised they offed the Russian scientist, but once he had announced he knew what was going, he was a goner, for sure. This was one of the weaker episodes of the series, but I still look forward to future episodes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks