What's new

Surface ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Well, it is science fiction, so I don't have a problem with the size of the baby vs. the adult, even if it is a mammal. I suppose "something happens" to make them that big.

This isn't like a new kind of butterfly. One of the first encounters caused the crew of a submarine to go missing. I suppose you could warn the public, "Uh, don't go in the water. You might get eaten. Oh, and don't put any funny eggs in your fish tank." Which might help in some ways, but on balance? They might not be able to keep the secret long, but a little caution in the beginning is plausible.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
It doesn't necessarily follow that large creatures have large babies. The mighty T-Rex, whose adult head is about the size of an adult human, hatched offspring that was about half the size of a newborn human. And if it's a mammalian example you want, pandas have babies so small, four of them could fit in your hand.

I haven't seen the second episode yet, but I was disappointed with the first. (So many characters, so little information - like watching a video of an unknown kid's birthday party.) However, from what I've read here, the second ep is worth watching, so I'll stick with it for now.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Well, the bad news is the second episode of "Surface" lost about 25% of its audience (in the 18-49 demo anyway) from the first, and it finished third in its timeslot (well, second if you consider two other shows tied for first).

The good news is nearly every network/program dropped in the ratings from the prior Monday last week, so the whole night was down.

Figures. One of my two favorite shows of the new season so it follows that it must be headed for cancellation. I purposely avoided all new programs last season for the sole reason that everything I like gets cancelled. Unfortunately, I fell off the wagon this year. :angry: :D

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Nimrod looks like an amphibious cat to me, kinda cute for now.

I think I like this show more than what I've seen of Threshold and Invasion for now, but it's early in the new season.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
I'd forgotten all about this show until I saw it in the TV guide the afternoon before the first episode aired. Leading up to the premiere, I don't think I saw a single preview for the show. I tuned in for the first two eps, and I'm definitely digging it so far. Best show of the new season IMO, and I really hope it doesn't wind up cancelled.

Invasion isn't that great so far, and I only watch it because its on right after Lost and I figure what the hell, might as well give it a try. Threshold doesn't interest me, and its on Friday nights, so its out of the equation entirely.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
So far, I like the premise, but the "government conspiracy" angle is a bit much for me. With so many sightings around the world, there's no way I wouldn't be reading in the tabloids about how J-Lo married one of these creatures. Keeping the scientific community in the dark about such a discovery would be not only something the government would have no interest in doing, but something it would find utterly impossible to do in any case.

The "sea kitty" is pretty neat, though. Whoever designed it did a good job of maintaining a functional, but interesting, appearance.

I can see why the kids would want to keep it a secret, since they don't realize it's a new species. They just think it's an iguana. An iguana that produces electric current, flashes of light, and has a tail clearly designed for underwater propulsion. But an iguana nonetheless.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
That last shot of the "sea-monster" swallowing a whole boat was creepy.

I'll keep watching. I just hope it goes somewhere quick.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
How many commercials can they show during this hour?

I wish someone would measure how many minutes this show runs. Most hour long shows are about 44 minutes. I would bet that this one is about 30.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

I think they've been average about 40 or 41 minutes. And most hour long shows I watch clock in between 40 and 42 minutes so Surface seems normal in that regard.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think the producers have been toying with inserting shorter commercial breaks more frequently in this season's shows, and the interruptions feel like that take up half the hour running time.

I think the reason I like this show over the two other ones of the same ilk (Threshold and Invasion) is because they took a page out of the Medium playbook and concentrated on the mundane lives of the 3 main sets of characters while mixing it with the extraordinary discoveries they make in their own backyard, so to speak. This show feels more relatable, more personable, and embraces the viewers and draws them into this world at the cusp of a truly momentous revelation of a new species that exists in the deep underground with a penchant for loving the heat.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
I'm enjoying Surface but I'm with those thinking that it might have played better as a mini or something else of finite length. I find the revelations about the nature of the beasts fascinating but outside of the government there doesn't really seem to be an antagonist. And I just don't see the government serving as a good long term foil here.

The characters are pleasant enough and well acted but none of them seem particuarly interesting when separated from the role they are playing with the unfolding events. It would have been much more interesting character-wise if the plagerism charge levied in this episode had actually been rooted in truth.

I'm just having a hard time seeing how this show can be sustained over the long term. But since the show is generally very well done I'm happy to see where they go with it (if the ratings hold out).

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Awesome opener scene last night with the parasailing boat being swallowed into the whirlpool. How scary is that?

So these creatures live in lava but also in the water? They're going to be really tough to eliminate when that time comes.

chuck_b

Supporting Actor
Just caught this last night for first time, mostly by accident. That opening scene with the parasailer was enough to keep me and I stayed the entire show.

Will give this another look and maybe try and ctah the frist two epiodes.

Rudi

Stunt Coordinator

I don't think the GOV is thinking of eliminating them. So far the healing properties of the creatures fluids and the armored skin are something they will probably try to exploit. Then maybe a deus ex machina will step in.;)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
SciFi Channel will replay all four of the first episodes of "Surface" on Tuesday, October 11, starting at 7 p.m. EDT.

7:00 Ep 101
8:00 Ep 102
9:00 Ep 103
10:00 Ep 104

Excellent opportunity for fans to see them again, and for new viewers to get caught up on missed eps, or see them all for the first time.

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor
I liked last nights episode. It didn't show to much in the way of the monsters but developed the characters well which is fine by me. I don't mind them taking their time with the story. It could be that I am also a Lost fan so I am use to things developing slowly. :D

Does anyone know how this show is doing in the ratings?

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
The crazy guy is just not a character I can like. He simply should be put away in a nut house. They need to make his character more likable or give us a reason to care.

The way the show (and the others like it) always treat the government as a big bad thing, willing to do anything to keep a secret, is also getting old.

I mean, how can they hope to keep a volcano in Yellowstone and a missing lake in texas a secret? It isn't real. The government would be wanting and needing help from the scientific community. They wouldn't be framing them.

I am almost ready to stop watching. Good thing they don't have any competition in the time slot. (actually they do, but I record CBS and watch after surface). Guess I should change that now.

p.s. I was glad to see the teen girls dog get eaten LOL she deserved it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks