What's new

Sure am glad I don't own property in the US (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

We Brits find this thing about accents really bizarre. The accent you guys seem to go most a bundle on is the received pronunciation (RP) which to most Brit ears sounds snobbish. I think you guys are way too disparaging of the strengths and charms of your own accents. I love the Bronx accent, for example - it's the expressive nuances you get with it.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member

Well, it's not like Wal-mart is going to stick a superstore on a quiet suburban street. Even with it being easier for them to grab land.. it's still an expensive endeavor to buy out property and raze homes. It's much less expensive to find a farm field or used car dealership to buy out.

And, even if you're renting an apartment you're at no less of a risk from being uprooted. In fact, I'd say you're more likely to be, since apartments tend to be located in areas that are more heavily populated with more traffic which make better locations for business and retail.

I would never go back to renting and pay for someone else's equity.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Best Buy's new HQ here in Richfield, MN crushed maybe 40-60 homes, 3 car lots and several other businesses. BB paid for a new hiway overpass and there was a phone book of literature about the tax breaks going both ways, the legal mumbo jumbo, etc.

I have spoken with several of the displaced folks, and many got a good price for their homes, but none were happy about it.

I'm just naiive and happy until someone comes along and says otherwise. By then it'll be too late.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Are you kidding me? Americans make fun of their unique regional accents all of the time. You seem to have this particular perception about Americans that I find kind of amusing. Where does that perception come from?

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

Um, that's what I said ... You've only to look at e.g. Singin' In the Rain to see that. I was trying to say that there are times when you downplay your own cultural strengths too much. It was meant to be a complement.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Back on topic... you're right. But for me at least, this is news. I was unaware that eminent domain could be used to acquire land for development by businessess. And there's no doubt about it per SCOTUS' ruling

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Great idea. Let's develop some land and have Ellison, Gates, Streisand, and Cronkite moved too.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member

That got me thinking...let's say the famous Biltmore Estate was still used exclusively as a private residence, but then some government official decided that the property and even the house itself should be converted to a tourist attraction to generate millions of dollars annually for the state. Doesn't this ruling allow for such a scenario?

(Of course, I don't really believe that would ever happen. :))

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks