What's new

Suprised on the hard sell for 4:3 sets by tweeter (1 Viewer)

Dan_R_M

Stunt Coordinator
Went to tweeter to check out the sony 34" widescreen XBR800...and the guy was really selling me on the 40" xbr8-00 4:3 set. Saying that you would get a bigger 16:9 screen plus the 40" for 4:3 viewing...cost was about the same if you include the stand. Any opinions?

-Dan

Trenton McNeil

Second Unit
If the cost is about the same, you should decide if you watch 4:3 or 16:9 more often and make your decision accordingly. I think he was just pointing out that the 4:3 40" set has a widescreen viewing area similar to the 34" widescreen set. If the cost is the same, I would personally go with the larger 4:3 set since I watch 80% 4:3 material.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
You don'l lose resolution watching 16/9 material on a 4/3 set if the 4/3 set has an anamorphic squeeze mode, which the 40" Sony does have. This mode "squeezes" the scanning lines vertically so they are all used only in the 16/9 area of the screen. No difference from a native 16/9 tv as no scanlines are wasted on black lines above and below the 16/9 image.

I would strongly recommend a widescreen rptv over a 4/3 model because the screen size for 4/3 stuff is still very large.

Since 34" is about as big as any reliable/halfway affordable 16/9 direct view set is gonna get, it does make sense to get that size image on a 40" 4/3 set and still have a 40" 4/3 image.

With the 34" 16/9 set, a 4/3 picture is gonna be about 29-32" or so.

With the 40" you'll get the biggest of both aspect ratios.

Of course, there is an undeniable coolness factor in just having a widescreen set sitting in your viewing room, even with it turned off, and I'd be the last to discount the importance of that coolness factor. It's a big reason why I have a 57" widescreen rptv instead of a 61" 4/3 hd ready set which would have been cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks