Supreme Beings of Leisure: Divine Operating System

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ted Lee, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi all -

i'm not sure how to describe these guys. how about funky retro electronic? maybe electronic meets trip-hop meets 70's psychadelic meets james bond themes?

aww heck....just give these guys a listen! [​IMG] you won't be disappointed.

their latest album titled Divine Operating System is quite a sonic treat. they've effectively molded several different styles into their own unique sound. i tried to think of another band that i could name, but couldn't come up with one. i suppose morcheeba may be close, but barely.

the quality of the recording is quite enjoyable. many of the songs have a full orchaestral (sp?) quality. listening to "catch me" you'll swear you're watching a classic james bond movie intro.

if this sounds like a band you'd enjoy, i recommend you give them a sample. they should be on the listening stations at borders...but don't buy it there. it's three dollars cheaper at best buy.

there's many standout tracks here. try: give it up, ghetto, get away, divine, and touch me.

i give this cd a solid "A".

by pure luck, i was also able to pick up their first album (self-titled) for 10 bucks (due to a mislabeled copy at bb) so i picked that one up too. so far, i'm also diggin' it.

2. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

It's REALLY weird I'm reading this right now. Becuase today I just bought Supreme Beings of Leisure's (SBL) dvd-single for their first album(I haven't even opened it yet)! I bought it at Wherehouse Music for $7 on sale. It has two song videos remixed to 5.1 surround sound (with a stereo PCM track too), an SBL "electronic press kit" video (i have no idea) and an extra, unreleased audio-only track.

I like their first album better than "DOS"; DOS sounds a little too disco-ey, but it's still good stuff. Their music is very slick & carefully produced but definitely not "formula" stuff. Kind of like if Steely Dan did trippy lounge music.

And lastly, SBL was in the running to do the theme song for a James Bond film, but Garbage got the job instead.

Supreme Beings of Leisure at cduniverse.com
    http://www.cduniverse.com/sresult.as...x=7&image.y=16

Ted: Did you get the "DOS" with the free dvd-video included? I did: it has four songs with 5.1 music and a cool 11 minute video advertising this interesting dvd (the DOS dvd includes one of this dvd's very art-intensive videos for the song "My Culture"): www.1giantleap.com

LJ

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

lance -

yup, i got the one with the dvd, but i haven't had a chance to check it out yet. but i'm jonesin' to do so.

it's funny that sbol was going to do the bond film...too bad they didn't get it. the garbage cut was lousy.

also, "strange love addiction" (from the first album) may be my new favorite song to play while drivin' down the highway! [​IMG]

np: u2 / rattle & hum