1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Supposedly terrific movies that just didn't do it for you... and why.

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Dick, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Mick Wright

Mick Wright Second Unit

2. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

3. Jeffrey P

Jeffrey P Auditioning

4. JoeMKal

JoeMKal Stunt Coordinator

the movies that come immediately to mind are

Lost In Translation, there are a bunch of clever funny moments, but nothing else really happens, plus the bill scarlett relationship really creeped me out

The Station Agent, I didn't really care about any of the characters and they don't really change, plus the movie didn't have a satisfying conclusion imo

Seabisquit, all the depression stuff injected into the movie annoyed me, and seemed unnecessary

5. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

6. Darrin W-G

Darrin W-G Extra

1) Terminator 3 *Shakes head and pretends it's part of the trilogy*
    2) Spiderman and The Hulk *They have could have been faithfull to the comic book, as it does have pictures and dialogue*
    ) SW TPM & SW AOTC SW ROTJ *Misery*
    4) Harry Potter 2 *Doesn't look good*
    5) Superman 2 & 3 *It wasn't kryptonite in bringing these 2 down to their knees*
    6) Indiana Jones & the temple of doom and the Last Crusade* Both are living in the shadow of the Raiders of the lost Arc*
    7) Die Another Day *Bond has lost the midas touch*
    8) The Mummy Returns *Their gonna need more than bandages*
    9)Jurassic Park 2 & 3 *They should been left in the museum*
    10) Star Trek Nemisis *Jean Luc Picard isn't James T Kirk*

"These aren't movies, these are blooper reels and can be only used to test home theatre set-ups."

7. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

8. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

Seth, all that really matters is how much you enjoy the film, who cares what these other people do. Your enjoyment of your chosen movies in your HT is the only thing that matters. And I too usually enjoy well received films. Some people on here will turn their nose up at that because they think they are better than that, and their list of tops are the limited release style movies that are just so damn good that they only get released in 5 theaters. I could care less that they don't enjoy my movies, just like they could care less I don't enjoy theirs. We can all have different opinions on movies and still enjoy HT as a community.

With this type of thread though every single popular movie will be on the list. Someone notices their favorite film, so they throw on one they hate to get them back. I'm been doing this with Spiderman for 2 years.

And I agree Gladiator is a popcorn movie, and I love every minute of it. I'd rather watch it then those films that push an agenda and just bask in their perfection, but usually boring as hell. But that's just me.

9. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Director

Michael Reuben

10. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

I totally agree, but can't say that I'm not guilty of it also. I'm surprised this is still open.

11. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Steve Gonzales

12. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

13. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

14. Dave_Brown

Dave_Brown Supporting Actor

One other film that I tried to enjoy but just couldn't was Pearl Harbor . The effects were great and the historical re-creations were pretty good but they just seemed to want to focus on the love story above everything else.

And for the folks who still can't believe this thread is open, I wish you wouldn't take open critics of films so personally. I'm happy that this post has remained so civil after 5 pages. And it was created for the purpose of negative comments, which should be just as welcome here as praise is for the movies you really enjoy in those "Best movie of all times" threads.

Not to mention I think it is better to discuss these things here then to try and go into a seperate post about the movie itself where you might as well just paint a big ol' target on your back.

15. JerryLA

JerryLA Stunt Coordinator

My most recent dissapointment was Pirates of the Caribbean. It came highly recommended but left me feeling... "What's the big deal". It's not that I found it to be a bad film, just fell way short of all the hype I've read about it. Maybe a second viewing is necessary to see what everyone is talking about.

16. Andy_G

Andy_G Stunt Coordinator

I would have listed Pearl Harbor, but I wasn't aware that it was "supposedly terrific."

17. Ed Moroughan

Ed Moroughan Second Unit

Edward R. Moroughan
    Scream - Uh, I saw this once before...it was called...Halloween. Trying to be a parody but done serious. So which is it. Syd was never in trouble...she's the tough virginal girl!!! DUH!

18. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (It's alright, but definitely not terrific)
    Moulin Rouge

19. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Lead Actor

Re: The English Patient and Colin's review at post 173.

1) Since when was rational behaviour a part of love? When did this happen? No explanation for the attraction between Katherine Clifton and Almasy is required.

2) Many of the plot points you criticize were adapted from Michael Ondaatje's prize winning novel.

The relationship between Kip and Hana was used as a means of exploring a different type of love affair and stood in contrast to the relationship between Katherine and Almasy. Consider the giving nature of a nurse and a demolition expert who are both attempting to help others vs. the selfish nature of the film's other lovers ( K & Almasy. )

I probably couldn't disagree more with the review as it completely misses the aesthetic sensibilities of the film, but to each their own as always.

- Walter.

20. Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar Supporting Actor

and that, colin jacobson, is why I hated the English Patient.

It's a little distrubing how many women consider adultry to be "romantic."