1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Supposedly terrific movies that just didn't do it for you... and why.

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Dick, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Nick Totoro

Nick Totoro Stunt Coordinator

Except for post #48. Should have added that one to my own list... [​IMG]

Nick

2. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Except that he didn't even see it![​IMG]

3. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Tony Whalen

4. StevenA

StevenA Second Unit

Whew! I'm not the only one! [​IMG]

5. Nick Totoro

Nick Totoro Stunt Coordinator

Details, details... since when does that matter... [​IMG]

Nick

6. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

7. BarryS

BarryS Second Unit

McCabe and Mrs. Miller.

Roger Ebert calls it a "perfect movie", but I was left scratching my head. I didn't hate it, but it just did not click with me at all. I didn't even come close to getting it. I suppose I'll try again someday and see if a second viewing helps. I like Robert Altman, but this film apparently went completely over my head.

8. Justin Spike

Justin Spike Agent

The Wild Bunch Saw it once, hated it. Tried it once more about 5 years later, and hated it again.

Better Luck Tomorrow Words can't express how overrated this movie is.

9. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

1.)The Matrix-Horrible Rip-Off of countless HK action films. Incredibly Pretentious and boring to boot. I hear the sequals only get worse.

2.) Rear Window - I love classic movies but man is this boring and overrated. A man in a wheelchair witness's a murder through his rear window and looks and looks and ponders and talks and talks and thats it.

3.) Shrek - Horrible computer game looking animation, boring story and some of the lamest, most immature jokes I've ever seen in an animated film. I laugh everytime someone says this was more mature or aimed at adults[​IMG]

4.) E.T. - Boring set-up and a milk the audience for emotions ending that had been done a million times before and you could see coming but I kept praying please don't go there I heard this movie was good but they went there and the movie was worthless.

10. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Seabiscuit

I didn't hate it, but I'm not sure what sets it apart from being a standard overcoming adversity tale or would make it stand above others with similar themes. I was pretty bored by the end just because I could see things coming a mile off.

Gangs of New York

Just way too long for a basic revenge story and a highly predictable story arc. When I realized DiCaprio's character had yet to go through the beaten-within-an-inch-of-his-life-gets-better-while-in-hiding-and-devises-a-better-plan-to-exact-his-revenge sequence I almost groaned out loud.

11. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee

Are you saying he's abusing the word because Chicago didn't actually earn that many awards? Because the word is used properly - "to get or earn."

12. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

"Earn" in this usage doesn't mean "deserve." When you say garner, there's no judgement call being made. Saying a movie garnered X number of awards has nothing to do with how worthy it is of those awards.

13. Brett_B

Brett_B Supporting Actor

14. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

15. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee

I do know it was based on a true story, but I'm not sure what that has to do with how well the story gets told. Rudy was based on a true story and that bugged me to no end. Maybe I just don't like those types of stories?

16. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    Hmmm, 115 posts and no mention of The Piano?

When it came out, all the local media was raving about it. I got dragged to see it by someone who'd studied in New Zealand. I absolutely hated it.

Don't much like English Patient either.

To disagree (respectfully) with some other posts:

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly: in contrast, despite its 3-hr run-time, I never thought it "plodded". I first watched this in its entirety the dead of night -- my college dorm was screening it (on VHS -- the "good ole days"), but I couldn't make it so I borrowed the tape and watched it myself the night before (which was the only time I had available). I never once nodded off or got bored.

Moulin Rouge: I was pleasantly surprised by it. A friend had an extra complimentary ticket and called me at last minute; I had not planned to watch it. Perhaps it isn't exactly all-time top 100 best material, but it's not bad and I certainly enjoyed it -- but I do agree about the headache you get from the opening sequence...

Fight Club: love it. Brilliant critique.

Seven: love it. Certainly not predictable, by any stretch of the imagination. "Disgusting" isn't the word I'd use, the whole point is that John Doe was doing all these horrible things to prove, in his own twisted way and mind, his own point.

17. RodneyT

RodneyT Stunt Coordinator

Okay, i'll bite.

Titanic.

18. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Matt Stone

19. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    Here's my big one I just didn't get

Rear Window

I would rank Jimmy Stewart as one of my all time favorite actors up there with Jack Lemmon and Alec Guiness.

I've really enjoyed all, and loved most, of the hitchcock films I've seen. Except this one. Intellectually I can recognize all the aspects that make this so great. its a very well done movie, and I love the ending with the camera flahese etc. but that doesn't change one fact I can't get past, that makes this movie utterly unique for me.

I've watched (most) of REar Window three times. I've fallen asleep every single time. one time I could excuse, but hree is just a little ridiculous. this film just does not jive with me on some basic level I can't explain. but I haven't given up hope yet, I hope that a big screen presentation might yet get me to enjoy the whole movie (and actually see the owhole thing for once!).

If it came donw to it, I think that my biggest problem was tha tthe first time I watched it, I knew what would happen throughout the film after about thirty-fortyfive minutes. He'd suspect the naighbor, nonone would believe him, as some point he doubts himself and the audience becomes convinced that the neighbor hasn't done anything, but then the evidence mounts for the original suposition and there is an exciting climax. I could be wrong in some of those details (ti's been a while since my last attempted viewing) but it seemed to me even on my first viewing that hte film played out pretty much exactly like that.

I guess you could say I got bored.

Adam

20. Mark Klaus

Mark Klaus Stunt Coordinator

Well, I'll bite.

I just don't understand the love for these Hitchcocks:

The Birds - any other director who put out this mess without an ending would be rightly castigated.

Strangers on a Train - just a whole lotta nothing

and the worst Hitch:

The Lady Vanishes - Is this supposed to be parody? This is so chock full of plot holes its ridiculous. YMMV.

I think Rear Window, Vertigo and North By Northwest are Hitch's best and are some of my favorite films.

Other films I just don't get:

Chariots of Fire and Hope and Glory - the ultimate cures for any insomniac.

The Piano - I thought I'd rip my eyes out of my head by the time the second act rolled around.

Trainspotting - Exploitative crap.

The Hours - You say layers, I say pretentious.

Bill Murray - Love him to death, but I just don't see any appeal to Rushmore or The Royal Tennenbaums.

Chicago - Not terrible, but Best Picture?????

A Beautiful Mind - again, not terrible, but Best Picture over FOTR????? This will be a major cinematic joke for decades.