What's new

Supposedly "Great" Movies You Just Couldn't Warm Up To, and why... (1 Viewer)

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Did someone mention MAGNOLIA?
Oh, yes of course ... how CAN you not?
I think the subject of the thread should be:
Supposedly "Great" Movies You Just Couldn't Warm Up To, and why...(besides MAGNOLIA) :)
------------------
RIGHT ... CHEERS!
http://www.geocities.com/asavin70

Gavin K

Stunt Coordinator
Forrest Gump - Lost me after Viet Nam. Long winded, rambling, boring, yecchhh. And what was with the running across America? I hated this movie so much I was intrigued to read the book, just to try and comprehend what in the hell the movie was about. Reading the book only made me hate the movie even more. I can understand them not being as surreal and absurd as the book, but they completely changed and destroyed every character, the entire theme and the whole point of the book. Awful, awful, awful.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Well at least the people in this thread who loved The Thin Red Line didn't condescend as most usually do (and some will yet I'm sure) and say that "you just didn't understand the movie". Oh, I understood it all right, I just didn't like it at the end of the day. I even saw it three times hoping it would grow on me like some films do....it didn't.
------------------
-Kevin M.
I can brave the nastiest weather, even when it's eighty below.
My Pa was an Elephant, but that's irrelevant,
My Ma was an Eskimo."
- Cannibal the Musical.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Gone With the Wind - "A little too soapy" is a great way to describe it. It is epic, but to its detriment. It was too drawn out. I didn't care enough for Scarlett "the bitch" as other people seemed to.
Some Like it Hot - This was funny? I didn't find the cross-dressing to be comedic. The lady who kept yelling "BIENSTOCK" really grated on me. I know it's a classic and many, many people love this film, but I thought it was rather silly and it failed in making me laugh.
------------------
As for the bad rap about the characters--hey, I've seen space operas that put their emphasis on human personalities and relationships. They're called "Star Trek" movies. Give me transparent underwater cities and vast hollow senatorial spheres any day. --Roger Ebert on The Phantom Menace
AIM: Aureus91 / DVDs / ICQ: 58566493
[Edited last by Tom_G on October 31, 2001 at 10:31 AM]

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Jim_K: I *love* the "Back To The Future" movies.
The movie that everyone considers great, but I don't see what the flippin' deal is, for me would be: "The Matrix". They hyped this movie up as the greatest thing since sliced bread...and then I saw some footage from it. Not impressive in the slightest.
Sincerely,
John Kilduff
------------------
"Who makes it happen?"
"I make it happen"-
Sigourney Weaver and Melanie Griffith in "Working Girl"

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Whew! A chance to vent on this without thread farting. Without a doubt, the most widely popular classic film with a seemingly perfect pedigree that just does not do it for me is:
Dr. Zhivago
I just can't get into the story and do not see any chemistry at all between Sharif and Christie. Instead of wishing that they could overcome the obstacles between them, I just keep feeling sorry for Geraldine Chaplin's character. I do like Rod Steiger's performance in this one. I like every other David Lean film I have seen, but for some reason, I just can't get into Zhivago. There's no denying the craftsmanship, but I just find the narrative very uninvolving.
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The Ice Storm : I don't know if this is "great" but it got some good reviews. I loathed this movie, after seeing it for the first time. It was like a long car ride with my grandmother: a tedious story about people I don't know, don't want to know, and don't care about. Blech.
American Beauty : I cannot fathom the critical acclaim for this movie. It was good performances suffocated by a dull, simplistic plot masquerading as "art" and "social critique". I left the theater thinking, "Yeah that was ok. Kinda fun at times. Bit slow, dull at times, and overly simplistic." But the ridiculous laurels it received wholly turned me off.
Bringing Up Baby : I tried to watch this, but I couldn't take it, and only got through the first half. The main characters were too annoying for me. And at the risk of blasphemy, I couldn't tolerate Katharine Hepburn's voice.
[Edited last by DaveF on October 31, 2001 at 08:58 PM]

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Suspiria
The Wicker Man
I just did not enjoy either of them. Maybe I should at least give Suspiria another chance. Ooops, too late. Just traded it! :)
(I'm not for sure if these would be considered "Great," but it seems many HTF members seem to think they are.)
------------------
God bless!
jeffrey noel
My DVD Collection
[Edited last by Jeffrey Noel on November 02, 2001 at 12:48 PM]

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
2001: nuff said...
The Thin Red Line: ditto.
The Shining: Kubrick fucked up one of my favorite books. The movie is extremely boring and anything but scary. That lady is probably the worst actress I have ever seen.
Lawrence of Arabia: Extremely interesting and puzzling character, but also highly overrated movie.
Being John Malkowitch: Easily one of the worst movies I have seen in my life. The definition of "Unfunny".
Gladiator: Fun movie at home (at the theater the action scenes were way too fast to register), but also overrated.
Close Encounter of the Third Kind: Huge dissapointment for me. I wonder why I didn't that shit yet.
Deer Hunter: Could never go past the first hour or so...
GoodFellas: I might have to watch this one again, but really I don't see what the big deal is about.
Silence of the Lambs: I did watch this one a couple of times and STILL don't see what the big deal is about.
--
Holadem
[Edited last by Holadem on November 01, 2001 at 09:06 PM]

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I just saw Cries and Whispers. Supposedly (according to Entertainment Weekly) the best foreign film ever. I certainly disagree.
This was a boring, pretensious, muddled-up film that I'd classify as a bad chick-flick with subtitles. Three sisters who are so screwed up (we never really find out why) who hate themselves and each other, and alternate between false politeness, hostility, crying & hugging & kissing each other, and treating each other as bitches again.
Yecch.
------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Holadem, you forgot "Citizen Kane" and "Casablanca."
wink.gif

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
1. Remember the Titans....after all the hype this movie got I have to say it is way overrated. After the film I was not motivated or anything. This movie doesn't even come close to "Rudy".
2. Saving Private Ryan....great opening but the coward and letting the German go just killed it for me.
3. From dusk till dawn....I don't know if it is considered "great" but a cult classic nonethe less, after the movie ended I was still waiting for what everybody liked about it.
4. 2001....I never have seen the whole movie b/c it is just sooo boring and I can never stay awake. This is actually #2 or #3.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
IMHO, The Graduate the most overrated film of all time. It's supposed to be this "great" film, but it's just another movie to me.
Birth of a Nation is an OK movie, but I think Griffith did better with Intolerance. It's a sad thing that the inferior Birth of a Nation was on AFI's Top 100 list instead of it.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
A.I.: Were it not for the performances of Haley Joel Osment and Jude Law, the film would be a certifiable train wreck. It was pretentious, shallow, and boring.
Mary Poppins: Terrible songs, terrible child acting, terrible British accent by the usually enjoyable Dick Van Dyke, terribly saccharine sets, and a number of characters who add nothing.
The Exorcist: Unbelievably dull "horror" scenes, funny when it's supposed to be frightening.
------------------
Petition to release The Mary Tyler Moore Show on DVD

Jon Mercer

Second Unit
Off the top of my head:
Gladiator
Hardware
Crouching tiger Hidden dragon
A simple plan
Scary Movie
Mouth of madness
I'm sure theres more...
------------------
Where the heck is Plucky? HERE DUCKY DUCKY DUCKY!!!
Magic armour is good but it tends to lose its magic without warning. Many an ancient lords last words had been " You can't kill me because I've got magic AARRGG!"
-Interesting Times-

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Gone With The Wind
Thin Red Line
A.I.
The English Patient
Grease(yuk)
Sound of Music
Just a few....

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Any John Woo movie in the last twelve years...
I'm sorry but if I see one more goddamned scene with Doves/Fire/Wind/Opera/Gunplay & extreme use of slow-mo I WILL KILL WOO!! GOD! Get over it! Find a new "Tag".
------------------
-Kevin M.
I can brave the nastiest weather, even when it's eighty below.
My Pa was an Elephant, but that's irrelevant,
My Ma was an Eskimo."
- Cannibal the Musical.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Oh dear Heaven...
1) The English Patient - Elaine on Seinfeld, enough said
2) Erin Brockovich...how'd this one escape Lifetime?
3) Godfather III - watched I/II for the first time two weeks ago, and was enthralled...WTF was III, a joke?
4) Close Encounters 3K- can't get into it
For the record, I enjoyed many movies on other members lists...I even saw my TOP 3 FAVORITES! What does that tell you? You scum have NO TASTE!
Take care,
Chuck
------------------
He had a plan. Maybe you just didn't see it 'til it hit you between the eyes. But, it started to make sense... in a Tyler sort of way. No fear. No distractions. The ability to let that which does not matter truly slide.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Just a couple for me.
GWTW (Hugely overrated, IMHO. Perhaps I would feel differently if I was younger, or older, or from the South, or of different gender....... It just seemed extremely melodramatic))
Vertigo (I love Hitchcock and Stewart, but the story here seemed lacking to me.)
All of the recent "Academy Award-winning" talkathons.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks