Supposedly "Great" Movies You Just Couldn't Warm Up To, and why...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dick, Oct 21, 2001.

1. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    I love a lot of Hollywood's musicals, from 42ND STREET right through PENNIES FROM HEAVEN, but one of the Oscar-winning films, GIGI, just never appealed to me. The sets and costumes are sumptuous, but I find it insufferably dull. A very, very little of Mauroice Chevalier goes a long, long way. Never cared for Louis Jordan. I enjoy Leslie Caron, but her songs seem lifeless.
    THE ENGLISH PATIENT should be a keeper for me. It has great photography, music, acting. But I just can't get into it. Not because there isn't much action - some of my favorite films have almost none (A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS, etc.). The story seems more convoluted than it needs to be.
    JUDGEMENT AT NUREMBERG. Fine cast, but largely MIS-cast, in my opinion. Important subject, which I feel was trivialized by this all-star casting, and diluted by a too-long running time.
    Those are three of many for me. Your choices?

2. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I don't like daytime soap operas. They are melodramatic and have what seems like cardboard acting to me. As a matter of fact, the only 'soap opera' I ever liked was Knot's Landing which had great actors, and surprisingly realistic and well-written scripts.
    Why do I go into all of that? Because that soap-operaish, overly-melodramatic writing is what makes me not appreciate so-called classics.
    My three (because of that):
    All About Eve
    Gone With The Wind
    Titanic
    ------------------
    13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

3. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but I simply cannot see what so many people like about Gladiator.
    ------------------
    My top ten movies that need to be on dvd:
    1. Akira Kurosawa's Dreams 2. Freaks 3. Men With Guns 4. The Ninth Configuration 5. The Reflecting Skin 6. Santa Sangre 7. Treasure of the Sierra Madre 8. Voyager 9. White Heat 10. Wings of Desire

4. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Metropolis-silent films have never been my cup of tea, but even so, this was unwatchable.
    Gone With The Wind-I agree with George. Too soapy for my tastes, but there were a *few* magnificant scenes.
    North by Northwest-by the time this got the Mount Rushmore scenes, I was ready to scream. I just found it dull and unmoving.
    In The Heat of the Night-I have tried and tried to like this one. But, something about the overall tone of it just keeps me from enjoying it.
    Brazil-just plain weird.
    Dead Poets Society-over-dramatic and pandering. Alot of wasted talent.
    The Fugitive-It had style and an interesting plot. But, I found it played stiff and unfeeling. I never really felt any kind of tension throughout the film.
    Bruce
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

5. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
    I thought the writing, acting, directing, and photography were great, but I just found the movie to be extremely annoying.
    ~T

6. Kristian

Kristian Supporting Actor

I keep reading about how great of a comedy His Girl Friday is, but I found the entire middle-section of the film to be a bore. The film only works for me when Grant and Russell are bickering with each other, and unfortunately, they don't appear together as much as I thought they would.
    ------------------
    My DVD collection

7. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

8. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

Magnolia = Several hours of my life I will never get back! Despite the rave reviews, including the majority on this forum, I can't think of too many films I have seen in the last couple of years that I hate more than this one!

9. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

"Fight Club" I find it so ridiculous it borders on comedy and nothing I can related to. " I want you to hit me as hard as you can" Yeah right!!!!!!!!!!
    [Edited last by Reginald Trent on October 21, 2001 at 10:53 PM]

10. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

I guess I'm not the only one who wanted Rhett Butler to slap Scarlett O'Hara a whole lot earlier... Despite the redemption of her character in the end, I find Gone with the Wind far too long to sit through while listening to Scarlett 'fiddle dee dee" her way through life.
    Dead Poets Society is the most dreadful, depressing film in the history of sad and dreadful films...
    Titanic belongs in a class by itself... exhibit A in how to make a bloated, self-congratulatory ego trip for a director I usually love. (I swear blood will drip from my ears if I hear "I'm King of the World" one more time)
    After seeing Boogie Nights, I learned to avoid all of PTA's films, including the assumedly horrid Magnolia (has anyone heard anything good about this movie that didn't come from a film critic?)
    After this list, it would be easy to a) go on for 40 pages and b) assume that I don't like movies... I would say I am easily pleased by a well-told tale (Of course, who am I to say... I loved Episode I and Jar Jar was a treat!)

11. Allan Mack

Allan Mack Supporting Actor

A Passage to India...

12. Michael Caicedo

Michael Caicedo Second Unit

Michael Caicedo
    Pulp Fiction... Just don't care for this movie. I get the point of this movie - over and over and over...
    ------------------
    Michael Caicedo
    Winter Park, FL
    - At my signal, unleash hell...

13. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Gone With The Wind - Couldn't be made today; the NAACP would be [justifiably] burning Ted Turner in effigy if he were to try.
    Gladiator - A decent revenge flick. So over-rated it's mind-boggling.
    The English Patient - As with his follow-up The Talented Mister Ripley, Anthony Minghella demonstrates the uncanny ability to make two and a half hours feel like seven.
    Office Space - Okay, only considered "great" here, but between Livingstone's anti-charisma and the waste of Stephen Root and the "humor" which never gets beyond regurgitation of familiar annoyances...
    The Trial - Ah, surrealism for surrealism's sake. Blech.

14. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

Reading some of the replies above reminded me of a couple more.
    Fight Club. Ok, I didn't think it was a terrible movie, but is wasn't very good either. About the only thing I enjoyed was the ending. But the trip getting there was not worth the journey by a long shot!
    And Office Space was just plain BAD! Why so many on this forum truly enjoy this movie is a complete mystery to me! [​IMG]

15. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

Lawrence of Arabia never really did anything for me. Maybe if I saw it in 70mm, I might change my mind.

16. Patrick Wilmes

Patrick Wilmes Stunt Coordinator

Almost Famous-I didn't see what all the fuss was about.I love music but I just didn't care for this movie.Strange because I usually agree with Roger Ebert about all his movie picks.

17. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

18. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

The Pledge- (Sleepy time)
    Almost Famous- (ehhh, it was OK but I don't care if I see it again)
    Scary Movie- (was this considered great? I hope not, pure poo poo)
    ------------------
    Sean
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"

19. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Most of the academy award winners for best movie of past years fall into this category for me.
    Anyway, today I will pick on A Room With A View.
    ------------------
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1[​IMG]
    ------------------
    My Favourite Movie

20. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I don't even think Gone With the Wind is "great." Many critics would suggest that it's a bloated, overrated piece of Americana.
    Birth of a Nation is a great film--but I sure can't cotton up to it.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]