support beam

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by jimmie b, Feb 10, 2003.

1. jimmie b

jimmie b Auditioning

The support for the beam in my walkout basement is right in the middle of the room where I want to build a theater. The beam is wood 2x12. Approx. 40ft long. There are 3 supports at approx. 12 ft intervals. Anyway can I get rid of two of the supports and just put one directly in the center where the two were. That would allow me to build my theater.

Thanks for the input

2. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

40 feet? There must be a joint or two in this.

From what you described, you would be increasing the span from 12' to 18'. Do not do this without consulting a structural engineer! I can't say whether it would be OK without knowing what the loads on the beam are. My gut feel is that it would not be good. 12' is already a significant span for a single 2x12.

Note that deflection increases as the cube of span... so if you increase the span 50%, you will need 3.375 times the bending strength for the same deflection. Thus you will need to use 4 2x12s bolted together, a glue-lam (or some other engineered beam) or steel.

3. Simon Richards

Simon Richards Auditioning

DEFINITELY seek out the advice of a structural engineer on this one. The supports are there for a reason. If you were to modify them, your insurance would not cover you. Worse still, the mod could kill you!!

One other option you may consider is to break up the concrete in the basement and install a sunken floor. Would this work?

Hope this helps!

PS. I had the same problem......a 35ft steel span that ran lengthwise in my basement. I had to box it in with a soffit.

4. jimmie b

jimmie b Auditioning

Im sorry guys. it is actually 2 2x12 sanwiched together with no joints. jimmie b

5. John Swarce

John Swarce Second Unit

Jimmie:

I'm in the same dilemma as you. I have 4 columns in my cellar (every 8') and would like to remove one of the end ones to create a 22' X 16' room. My nephew is an engineer and he said that 19' steel plates could be used to sandwich the wood beam, thus giving me the open room that I would want. He is coming over next week to take some measurements and crunch some numbers. This sounds like something that could work for you, but by all means have an engineer look at it first!

Could you rearrange the planned room to have the columns inside the walls?

6. jimmie b

jimmie b Auditioning

I would be able to rearrange the room but this woul give me a width of 18ft and a depth 13ft. I always heard you want the room deeper than wider. Is this true for sonic performance?

7. Sean Romo

Sean Romo Agent

Structural engineer here...
    Sorry I cant give you the answer, company liabilities, but give these guys a call and they could help

Microllam Trus Joist Macmillan 1-800-628-3997

They sell LVL (laminated veneer lumber) for headers of long spans, they sell the product and should be able to run numbers for their products and your needs.

You will need exact measurements and existing connection types

8. KenA

KenA Stunt Coordinator

Ken Appell
    I'm interested in having this done in my home and I was looking for anyone who has gone through it to warn me of what I am getting into. How much $$ should I expect to spend? I currently have three posts supporting a triple sistered 2x8 dimensional beam. I'd like to have it replaced with an LVL with a single post in the center.

EDIT The current posts are about 7' on center, so the total span is about 28'

9. tom derby

tom derby Agent

i have beams in my basement as well. I walled a few in and the ones i couldn't put behind walls i used polewrap (polewrap.com) it looks pretty good, just wraps around the poles and makes them look like nice wood columns. They can be painted any color and are way cheaper than a structural engineer.

10. KenA

KenA Stunt Coordinator

Ken Appell
    Mine are dead center of the rooms. I would really like to remove them. I'm very handy and there's a lot of things I can do myself but this isn't one of them.

11. sloan

sloan Auditioning

Hey

Definitely consult an engineer! have him do a small stamped sketch for your local municipal building department. Obtain a local building permit (for your own protection). They should also be able to provide helpful information for your project.

This is really not too big of a deal, you will have to provide temporary shoring and support on both sides of beam full length to remove the old one, have new beam sized, lay out distances for new support posts cut/break concrete floor to add new footings for new posts to rest on, (3" concrete floor is not sufficient). Slide new steel or lvl beam into the basement, through an end window (hopefully) support it, install it. Remove temporary shoring and support and your'e done!

I've done this in several home renovations where the posts needed to be relocated or the old beam and floors were sagging.

Good Luck

12. tom derby

tom derby Agent

alright then sloan, how much will the project you detailed cost? Ballpark it for me.

13. sloan

sloan Auditioning

Ball Park?

Hmmm

you do it 1500.00 +

Contractor 5000.00 + (Canadian $ Eh..)

As with a lot of construction projects it can be the labour that adds up.

Rent the shoring and supports have friends help, work hard = big savings.

14. KenA

KenA Stunt Coordinator

Ken Appell
    What kind of shoring and supports are we talking about? I'm picturing 2x4 walls the whole length of the beam (on either side). Doesn't leave much room to work. Fortunately, I do have windows on the ends to slide a new lvl through. You're ballpark $$$ is what I projected, thanks.

15. sloan

sloan Auditioning

Hey Ken,

16. KenA

KenA Stunt Coordinator

Ken Appell
    Sounds pretty straight forward, but still sounds like a job for a pro. Once I get an engineer in here to look at it, I'll have a better idea of what I'm dealing with. Thanks for your input.

17. KenA

KenA Stunt Coordinator

Ken Appell
    Just thought I'd let you guys know that I got a quote today for $4,400. This includes a steel I-beam, two new footings, and cutting into the concrete block on either end. I'll probably haggle a little, but I think I'm going to go this route.

18. Orlando

Orlando Stunt Coordinator

Hey KenA,
    Who did you get your quote from? I live in Baldwin and was looking to do something like that myself.

19. sloan

sloan Auditioning

Hey

That's great! Pleased to hear things are working out for you...

My estimate was pretty close.

Good Luck with your project.

20. KenA

KenA Stunt Coordinator

Ken Appell
    Orlando,
    Lets wait to see how the job turns out before I recommend this guy [​IMG]