Supid cheap OEM paste wrecks cpu

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Mike_J_Potter, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Mike_J_Potter

Mike_J_Potter Second Unit

After noticing that my Newly build AMD 64 system was running a little hot I decided to reseat and change the cheap paste that came with the heatsink I bought to Arctic silver. Well here's the bad part, the cpu paste hardened a little bit and more or less glued the heatsink to the cpu. After a few minutes and realizing that I could not get under the heat sink to safely seperate the heat sink and cpu. I was forced to tug on the heatsink with a little more force then I wanted to. Sure enough the CPu stuck to the heatsink and got pulled out with the heatsink resulting in several bent pins. Long story short after 45 minutes of trying to get all the pins lined up right with tweezers one of the pins broke off rendering the cpu useless. I think I cussed at least one time for each dollar the new cpu will cost me. Moral don't skimp on the thermal paste and use a minimal amount of paste.

2. EricWilliam

EricWilliam Agent

for future reference as well, try taking the heatsink off while the processor is still warm..makes things much easier

3. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

This is, more or less, what it is supposed to do. Sorry your experience has sucked so much though.

4. Mike_J_Potter

I think the issue was too much paste gave it a suction effect. Kind of like when you get your foot get stuck in the mud and when you try to pull it off you lose a shoe. I wish that cradle wasn't around the heatsink then I could've carefully seperated them with a thin plastic putty knife or something. Oh well I ordered a Zalman heatsink with cpu and I'll be stingy with the Arctic Silver.

5. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

I've heard that too much paste is actually worse than not enough.

6. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

Ditto, it winds up insulating rather than transfering. It should always be a fairly thin layer applied evenly with a straight edge and not your finger (a razor blade seems to spread it the easiest).

Go to the ArticSilver site...they have picture how to instructions on how to apply paste properly.

7. Mike_J_Potter

Thanks thats's where I went and used the instructions on their site. System is running nice and cool now with the zalman heatsink. Everything went together smoothly, well besides discovering that there was a short in the floppy drive that nearly started the whole pc on fire. I don't have a clue why it happened or for that matter why I didn't blow a breaker or fry the power supply (guess those antec power supplies are touugh. Thats what I get for using old floppy drives from junk machines. I am beginning to think someone from Intel is conspiring against me for building a amd 64. If some has a spot to host the image I'd be happy to take a picture of the burnt up wiring I removed from the power supply for the world to see.

8. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

That's the route I went and never have an issue with my A65 3500+ 90NS chip and Zalman heatsink with arctic silver. I was not stingy with the paste though.