What's new

Supernatural TV Series (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have never watched this series, but I caught some previews from it so now I'm interested. For fans of this series, is it worth going through 12 seasons to catch up on it? Is this similar to Grimm? The series focuses on two brothers, are there any other family members involved? I think the preview I viewed had their mother, but she looked about the same age as her sons.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I watched it religiously through the first ten seasons. Kind of let it fall by the wayside and I am thinking about getting back into the series. I don't watch Grimm, but I believe you do, correct? On that basis I'm pretty sure you'll like Supernatural. When Eric Kripke left after season five, many folks thought the series declined and I tend to agree with that assessment. For me, season seven was probably the weakest year of the show. Having said that, there were still things to like even if the seasonal story arcs were a bit of a let down some years. The show had an almost monochromatic cinematography during season one (and maybe two). They went away from that and I kind of missed that distinctive palette in latter seasons.

Some of the strengths (for me) include:

- The chemistry between the brothers (Sam and Dean) is probably the biggest attraction of the series.
- Mark Sheppard as the demon Crowley delivers snark as well as anyone on television.
- The women are quite fetching (the ones that are meant to be, anyway)
- The show does meta content about as well as anything on television.
- The humor can be very subtle at times.

I've enjoyed it over the years and I certainly think it is worth a look. Try season one and it isn't working for you then you might as well stop because it has remained stylistically (other than the above mentioned cinematography changes) consistent through the years.

As far as the family goes, the brother's dad (played by Negan himself, Jeffrey Dean Morgan) appeared sporadically in season one. There have been a few one off episodes dealing with family situations but the closest thing to a family the brothers have had over the seasons was their mentor Bobby (played by Jim Beaver).

- Walter.

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
No, Eric was the showrunner/creator. The actors playing the brothers have never changed.

I checked out of the show about two years ago (just too many conflicts about what to view on the night it was broadcast and my DVR couldn't handle it all), but I understand their long-dead mother was resurrected last season to assist her boys with their hunts for evildoers. That's why she appears the same age as them. I think she returns with them this season, but I didn't watch last season at all so I'm not sure about that.

But the show has a wry sense of humor that Grimm didn't have. But the boys have been to hell and back (literally) on several occasions so I believe if I was interested, I'd start at the beginning. Those early seasons with a monster of the week were REALLY entertaining. The later seasons get very heavy with angel-demon lore.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Since there's over 250 episodes, my recommendation would be to seek out a list of essential episodes and watch those. That way, you see the high points and you get the major storylines but you don't spend all your free time for the next 6 months watching one show. :)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
IMO, SN is better than Grimm. I like both, but gave up on Grimm mid-3rd season, but still watch SN.

As others have noted, it's kind of morphed into a different show over the years. I'd definitely start at the beginning, at least for a few episodes, for the introduction to the brothers, the "family business", and their motivations. Seasons 1-5 were kind of focused on one direction, then once they introduced the angels, it became more serialized and focused on the struggle between Heaven/Hell, Angels/Demons, and sort of became a different show with occasional "monster of the week" episodes that circle back to the roots of the series' original style.

There are occasional clunkers of specific episodes, as with any long-running series (S1E8 "Bugs" should be avoided), but overall I think it's remained quite strong throughout its run and it remains one of the very few current, long-running series I still look forward to each week.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I've watched it off and on, someday will go back to the start and watch all of it. It's really pretty decent and you can jump in any time, most episodes are complete stories on their own.

A friend of mine met the two stars earlier this year. She's very tall, these guys must be in the 6'4" range.

18010920_10154263774846386_6669146117308547741_n.jpg

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I TiVo'd the series and am slowly watching it on travel. I'm into S2. It's a monster-of-the-week procedural with "myth" episodes now and then. It's ok: not great but enjoyable when you want an hour show that doesn't take a lot of attention.

But I keep setting it aside for really punchy new shows (Dirk Gently, GLOW, etc.)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
18010920_10154263774846386_6669146117308547741_n.jpg

Here's a better version, still learning how to post a photo at my age...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
My wife is a big fan; I've watched some of it. My advice is to watch Seasons 1-5, which generally have the best storytelling and tell what's more or less a complete arc, and then from there you can evaluate after each season if you want to continue. I stopped after Season 7 and while I'm glad to have seen what I did, I don't really feel any urgency about resuming the show.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched the first episode of the first season. Not on par with Grimm's first episode, but I'll watch some more of them.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Been watching since episode 1 back in the day, love it...

Anyone familiar with the show will note the arm scratching as to what episode this was, and they rolled this at the end of that episode with the credits. Freaking hilarious, and this episode was hilarious too.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I gave up on my attempted watch and deleted the series from the TiVo. I could have gotten into it in the '90s. But starting today, 10+ seasons, 22 episodes per, of a monster-of-the-week series hasn't worked out for me. I kept ignoring it and watching 10-episode mini seasons like Riverdale and Bojack Horseman.

I liked what it was doing. I just wanted it distilled into 8 episode seasons.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ah. I've only seen the first season. I'm waiting for S2 to hit Netflix. I assumed it was also a short season. I'm not sure it can sustain a 20-episode season. :)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Supernatural is a favorite here; one of the few I continuously watch; it is a good combination of tongue and cheek humor, a sometimes Buffy-esque attitude toward reality, and great side stories with tons of repeating characters.

Some characters can drop in maybe once every year or two, others drop in frequently; but the chemistry in the main cast (the brothers) is easily the best on TV. At this point, I don't think these actors could really do a lot of roles beyond Supernatural, they are that well known with it.. but they just embody the roles so well that you never don't buy them in it.

This show is also one where the asides, audience cut ins, and occasional meta episodes are so wickedly funny that it reminds you: "Repeat to yourself, it's just a show.."

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Here is another clip and an extended trailer for the Scoopy Doo crossover.

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
of a monster-of-the-week series hasn't worked out for me
It's also not a monster-of-the-week series (I often wish it were). Much like The X-Files back in the day, a good share of the episodes are dedicated to the ongoing angel/demon/heaven/hell mythology if you like that sort of on-going, serialized thing.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I love the good mix, but like Xfiles, they have fallen into the trap of spending too much time on long arcs and not enough "monster of the week".

Several shows do this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HobbitGolf
Recent bookmarks